Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Letís hear about opening day

State wide 9% of corn harvested and 33% of beans. As weather allows guys will be getting after it I’m sure. The early snow was a good reminder of what can happen at any time. Expect hunting to continue to improve as crops come out.

hunted north east of aberdeen, lots of corn, water and wind. Still had fun and my dog was just as happy. Birds in the bag don't fully measure success.

Quote Originally Posted by jmuller19 View Post
    hunted north east of aberdeen, lots of corn, water and wind. Still had fun and my dog was just as happy. Birds in the bag don't fully measure success.
    I promise you guys coming from out of state and spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a pheasant trip absolutely care about the amount of birds seen and bagged. Most out-of-state hunters could hunt in their own state but itís very very poor hunting. They come to the great state of South Dakota for one reason and one reason only and that is for the amount of birds. If the bird population is low there is no need to come they can stay and shoot Pen raised birds in their home state and save all that money.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    Openung week if bird
    Attachment 9452
    My dog made a 200 yard retrieve on a shaptail that fell in a pond.I made a great passing shot, of 60 yards.That was the highlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    My dog made a 200 yard retrieve on a shaptail that fell in a pond.I made a great passing shot, of 60 yards.That was the highlight.
    Great passing shot that resulted in a 200 yd retrieve. I made a true triple, all 60 yds plus. All retrieves were 1/4-1/2 mile, blind, & up hill both ways.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Ha..�� And the cow jumped over the moon..

IMG_5548.jpg

Not sure if this will work, but attempting to show a pic of a couple of very young birds crossing road on Friday before opener. Prior to taking pic, the was the mother hen and 4 chicks. Birds shown are very young for this time of year.

Family group of 8 hunted opening weekend and shot 15 birds, all private land around Eureka. Limits from opening weekend till the close of the season are typically easy. I did not even bother to cash in the remaining 5 days of my non-resident license, I instead chose to chase ducks around the countryside and did very well. Good news is the hunters still came in droves with lots of out of state plates in the area. The fireman's feed fed over 700 people on opening day evening, with hunting reports being very dismal. I did see more birds the week prior to opener while chasing ducks and deer, but from past experience the bird numbers are still very low.....lower than I have ever seen them in 23 years. Last Thursday the farmers were going full tilt on the beans but the rain on Sunday and Monday shut them down. Fields and fields and fields of corn are where the pheasants are hiding right now.

I have always maintained that early season hunting is overrated. Still a hoot - don't get me wrong - and I will continue to do it, but opening day challenges are not unusual. If its not too wet, its too hot; Birds can be too young to identify; Crops are usually still up; Public lands are crowded, etc....

I like to get out once in October just to scratch the itch and find a few young-n-dumb ones, but much better hunting in late November through close in January. Crops are out, birds are matured and bunching up, and you are not competing with the crowds on public lands.

I have heard lots of reports that are across the spectrum from the past week - ranging from 'done in an hour' to 'One bird in 2 days'. As has been the case over the past few years, the better reports are coming from those that change their approach & location in response to the unusual conditions, vs 'hunted the same spot for 20 years' approach.

Hockeybob, I guess success depends on the person. I want to see lots of birds but that isn't my only reason for coming.