Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog's First Hunt

Question Dog's First Hunt

Hello. I am a first time hunting dog owner, and I have a 1.2 year old golden retriever. I got him from a hunting bloodline, and I can tell that he is a natural when it comes to being in a field. I have been training him myself, with the guidance of some experienced bird dog owners. I am getting ready to take him out on his first official hunt tomorrow.
    We have been walking fields all summer long, and one of his main issues right now is walking too close to me. I suppose it is better than being too far out in front, but I'm wondering if there are any tips or tricks to getting him into that prime 20-25 yards range in front of me (he stays about 10 yards right now).

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks everyone!

I've had a couple of field goldens. My suggestion is to wait till he hits some hot bird scent and then you'll wish you never started this thread.����
    Last edited by UplandHntr; 10-20-2019 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Changed NOT to HOT

So.... any real suggestions?

Uplandhunter wasn't kidding. Nothing sparks a bird dog like birds. Walking in a field with its master is nice, but the scent of a game bird stirs an atavistic avalanche and lights go on all throughout the dog's brain. Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim and bird dogs gotta hunt.

It will be wonderful. Trust us.

Have fun.

Kis
    For hunters, Fall is the island towards which we swim all year.

Oh I apologize to uplandhunter. I thought there was sarcasm there. My fault. Thanks for the replies. Iím excited to get started with him in the morning. Now just have to get him on some birds 👍🏼

Quote Originally Posted by UplandHntr View Post
    I've had a couple of field goldens. My suggestion is to wait till he hits some not bird scent and then you'll wish you never started this thread.����
    This is likely spot on. Birds make bird dogs
    "We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Quote Originally Posted by Gatzby View Post
    This is likely spot on. Birds make bird dogs
    just let the dog handle the birds.....they will work it out.

I'm with the others. Put the dog on birds a few times & then get back to us. We'd love to here about your experience. It's amazing to watch the synapses start firing once a dog realizes there are birds in the grass.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

He's still young and inexperienced. Let him do his thing this first season, it's a learning experience. I have a feeling that once he has had some bird contacts that his range will increase. In fact, your problem may be keeping him in close enough, especially when he hits some hot scent. Good luck and enjoy!
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    He's still young and inexperienced. Let him do his thing this first season, it's a learning experience. I have a feeling that once he has had some bird contacts that his range will increase. In fact, your problem may be keeping him in close enough, especially when he hits some hot scent. Good luck and enjoy!
    X2! I'm going through the same thing...if you get her on birds it'll be a hold different game before the season is over.