Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog's First Hunt

How much bird exposure has the dog had? Have you given him planted pigeons during quartering drills or a clipped wing pigeon?

Quote Originally Posted by UplandHntr View Post
    I've had a couple of field goldens. My suggestion is to wait till he hits some not bird scent and then you'll wish you never started this thread.😆😆
    Just got back20191017_094956.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by UplandHntr View Post
    I've had a couple of field goldens. My suggestion is to wait till he hits some hot bird scent and then you'll wish you never started this thread.����
    I fat fingered my original response which made the message useless. Lets see some pics of your Golden!
    Mike

You might try training your dog at a preserve with planted birds - a great way to duplicate the hunt experience. You'll have a very charged dog!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    You might try training your dog at a preserve with planted birds - a great way to duplicate the hunt experience. You'll have a very charged dog!
    the closest i would ever let my dog get to a planted or pen raised bird would be a pigeon in a launcher.....wild birds are the way to go.

I've seen trainers using chuckers, pigeons and hen pheasants quite effectively.... Sure worked with my past three dogs.

Have never tried the launcher...
    Last edited by jonnyB; 10-20-2019 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter94 View Post
    the closest i would ever let my dog get to a planted or pen raised bird would be a pigeon in a launcher.....wild birds are the way to go.
    Actually pen raised and planted birds are the way to go when introducing a young puppy to birds. Especially a shackled or clipped wing bird. It is safe for the dog and puts the trainer in control. A retriever can't pick up a bird in a launcher. You can't force fetch on wild birds either. Training and hunting are quite different.

Thanks, W.KS. You clearly stated the whole rationale for using a control setting, for training...thanks! Obviously, trying to train while you're hunting doesn't work well. Using a preserve worked extremely well for me...those that hunt with me can attest to the dog's intensity and prey-drive!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    Thanks, W.KS. You clearly stated the whole rationale for using a control setting, for training...thanks! Obviously, trying to train while you're hunting doesn't work well. Using a preserve worked extremely well for me...those that hunt with me can attest to the dog's intensity and prey-drive!
    Some people can't distinguish between the 2. The best way to get a dog to quarter is through quartering drills using a couple of helpers and using a combination of dummies and planted pigeons. Chasing wild birds in a hunting situation is not the way to develop prey drive. Training with planted birds where the dog gets a snort full then gets a shackled pigeon in his mouth is. They have to taste those birds. Once this is accomplished taking the dog hunting is easy.

My concern would be gun introduction

I would let him find and flush and chase birds before I shot over him

Get him bird crazy with lots of encouragement and atta boys so hes actively seeking pheasants

Then when hes fired up chasing one he flushed shoot it for him so he sees it fall just one shot no boom boom boom

If you miss let it fly off and just do the attaboys and go find another bird

Once he connects the boom with a bird falling you will be on your way

Also forget trying to teach quartering just follow him
    Around and catch up to him when he gets birdy