Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need guidance

Default Need guidance

Hello all,

As you can tell from my name, I have always owned Labs or Springers (can't tell that from my name)

I only pheasant hunt. I have been searching for a well started or finished dog. A buddy of mine is trying to talk me into going with a pointing breed. I have never owned nor hunted with a pointer. His suggestion is an English Setter.

I would love to hear you opinions on this, words of advice, etc.

In advance, thank you.

What state are you in?

Plenty of good pointing breeds out there. Shorthairs and Brittanys lead the way with Pheasants Forever members, but you can look towards pointers, setters, and a whole host of other breeds ... Most pointing breeds like (prefer) to run at the edge of gun range if not much further out. Some hunters cannot ever get comfortable with that.

I think there are two basic things to consider; range and temperament. Range and temperament are both breed and lineage (genetics) dependent.

I will speak towards Brittanys because that is what I have experience with... Range can vary by breeder and lineage. Some field trialers and breeders want Brittanys to compete with pointers in the amount of land covered and others want a dog bred to hunt with an owner on foot.

Generally speaking I have found Brittanys to be soft in temperament. You can not train (especially reprimand) a Brittany like you could a lab. Soft temperament with master in no way translates to a soft hunting style in the field. Well unless said dog is reprimanded to the point where they just give up.
    Last edited by BRITTMAN; 10-11-2019 at 07:57 AM.

If you love labs, why get away from them? Love my pointing lab!

Itís a generalization but shorthairs are normally much better at hunting down cripples than setters or English pointers

And they handle pressure a little better than Brittanys again a generalization

The German breeds are all similar but in shorthairs you will find a lot of strong hunting lines to choose from

I have four English pointers, two shorthairs and a Brittany at the moment

Brittanys are wonderful dogs also with strong cripple hunting characteristics but they take a gentle hand to train and are burr magnets ( you can trim them to avoid this)

Shorthairs are about as close to a ď out of the boxĒ pheasant dog as you can get in the pointing breeds

I would rate them number one for your first pointing dog

I like them all lol

Labs, are not meant to point. Get a lab.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    Labs, are not meant to point. Get a lab.
    This is probably the first thing you have posted on here I agree with. Congrats LOL

Quote Originally Posted by carptom1 View Post
    This is probably the first thing you have posted on here I agree with. Congrats LOL
    i hunt with a buddy and his lab.....sometimes.....get tired of watching him (the dog) bust birds and this guy chasing his dog to get a wild shot.....no thanks.
    there are some good ones, but most guys are too lazy to train a lab to quarter in range....me, i like a nice pointed bird to walk in and flush under the dog.

Flushing dogs should be trained to hup to a toot on a whistle and release on two toots

Itís simple to train

Labs are great dogs

Quote Originally Posted by hunter94 View Post
    i hunt with a buddy and his lab.....sometimes.....get tired of watching him (the dog) bust birds and this guy chasing his dog to get a wild shot.....no thanks.
    there are some good ones, but most guys are too lazy to train a lab to quarter in range....me, i like a nice pointed bird to walk in and flush under the dog.
    I do enjoy the flush if a pointer, but i never hunt with pointers.I have to run at times, to get a shot. For rooting birds out of real thick cover, ill take a lab, over a pointer.That being said, I do like the german wirehaired pointer.Great dogs.