Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reminder - Canada Wild Rye

Lady had a nocardia infection and pneumothorax from a suspected grass awn while she was in Montana on my friends guide string. Her symptoms were very fast onset, one day a client shot a limit of sharps over her and two days later she almost died. Dr. Mcinteer is consulting on her case and 2 months later her chest rads look normal but we've still got a couple months of recovery ahead. Very scary stuff.
    Last edited by quail hound; 11-12-2019 at 10:39 PM.
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Come on, Lady. Get better!
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    Come on, Lady. Get better!
    She's doing really well and has been cleared for "light exercise" so no hunting yet. Two more months of clindamycin.

Edit: Lady had pneumothorax (air in the chest cavity) not pyothorax.
    Last edited by quail hound; 11-12-2019 at 10:38 PM.
    "The happiest man is he who learns from nature the lesson of worship"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just got back from Sodak.
    Started off in a beautiful field... Had everything shelterbelt, bounded by corn but loaded with CWR. Stopped 5 minutes in and said we're done here. Did the tailcheck check out and moved on.
    IM me if you want to know exact location.

In 2016 we put in 142 of CRP (CP-38) and have 119 acres of nesting cover of which has a good amount of Canadian and Virginia rye in that mix. There is plenty of the "bearded" type of grass that I am assuming is the ryes in question. I and my GSP have hunted this A LOT over the past 2 years with the grass being mature and headed. Now I am getting some concerns. My dog did get quite sick at the end of last season, vet gave us a stong antibotic and he seemed to recover fully. He is 11.5 now and is slowing down...getting to wonder if that episode could have been related to a seed now. We have 18 acres of switch grass that I could try to stay in, I really wish I knew about these grass issues when we ordered the seed! Thanks for the post A5.

I am surprised PF doesn't warn about these grasses when putting acres into CRP...and the USDA might add warnings. Most of the CRP projects will get plenty of hunting (dog) activity in them.