Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Opener Countdown

Maybe crops up wet fields and bad weather will keep some people home. I would be ok with that.
    Last edited by Tbear; 10-07-2019 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Spelling

I think a lot of people will be staying home for this opener. Could make it a good one for those that choose to go. I'm going regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by epagneulbrit View Post
    I think a lot of people will be staying home for this opener. Could make it a good one for those that choose to go. I'm going regardless.
    yup, 2 out of 4 guys in our group are starting to back out; the wind will suck but opening weekend+first snow should be make some a great time

So I understand the dealing with the crowds argument but not the crops not being out one. At 52 years old seeing a ton of birds because the crops aren't out it not important to me anymore. For me it's a weight off my shoulders to be away from the rat race hanging out with friends and my dogs. You only get so many openers in a lifetime.

Was just talking about the same thing last night. You also only get so many days afield with a dog. I have an 11 year old that is starting to remind me of that. 🍻

I agree, this will be my labs 3rd opener and my brother has a pup going on her first opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrdoglvr View Post
    So I understand the dealing with the crowds argument but not the crops not being out one. At 52 years old seeing a ton of birds because the crops aren't out it not important to me anymore. For me it's a weight off my shoulders to be away from the rat race hanging out with friends and my dogs. You only get so many openers in a lifetime.
    Getting away from the rat race on opener ? I suppose maybe this year.

Good luck tomorrow everyone 🍻

Just wondering how it went for everyone today?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt1GSP View Post
    Just wondering how it went for everyone today?
    I feel like I just gotta tell someone, it was the best opener as far as birds flushed per hour, I’ve had in many years. Family farm in Goodhue county. Shot 2 roosters in 45 minutes of hunting around 5 pm with my 3yo lab. Habitat is set-aside acreage next to corn/beans. The birds were in there, set-aside acreage is mostly prairie grasses, some scattered, thin dogwood bush and water seepages. Windy, sleet and some hail. 9 hens, 2 other roosters seen. Interesting was a covey(4) of pheasants so young they barely made it off the ground. If they were 3 weeks old I’d be surprised. 7 deer.
    I had to work most of the day traveling home from work and decided to go sorta last minute, not expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. Hope it’s a sign of a good season.