Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Opener Countdown

Quote Originally Posted by John Singer View Post
    This was my first Minnesota opener as I am a new resident.

Hunted both Saturday and Sunday on public land. 21 flushes. 5 were roosters. 4 were shot at and bagged.

Had a wonderful time. Was pleasantly surprised at the uncrowded conditions and presence of birds (compared to Michigan).

2 of the roosters were very young birds.
    Welcome to the state. Glad you found a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbear View Post
    SW sorry I canít be more specific than that.
    Don't blame you one bit. Just curious general area.

Made it out to a local WPA for a quick evening hunt last night, my first of the year. I saw a very good number of birds, however most were all young. We flushed 2 definite hens. 1 rooster, which I was lucky enough to bag, and it was probably the smallest/youngest rooster I can recall ever shooting. Then we flushed probably another 8-10 birds that I have no idea if they were roosters or hens, so no shots taken. Most of them took off in a straight line away from me and never allowed myself to get a good ID on their color or tail length. If they flushed to the side for a crossing shot I'm guessing they could have been ID'd... If they can survive a few more weeks to grow, and wait for the crops to come out, I am optimistic for a good Minnesota year for my local expectations (my local expectations are to be able to get in good dog work - flushing a few hens in each field, and have the opportunity to shoot a Rooster in most fields).
    Bear 10 - 16 small.jpg
    Last edited by jackrabbit; 10-16-2019 at 07:32 AM.

Like TBear our group went out Saturday and Sunday in SW MN, we ended up with 6 on Saturday for 4 of us, we should have had our 8. Sunday we only hunted till noon and we shot 2 that day. Plenty of hunters out and the weather was fun in my opinion. Looking forward to late season!!

Do you think there's going to be more people out hunting this weekend than last? The weather will be a lot warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
    Do you think there's going to be more people out hunting this weekend than last? The weather will be a lot warmer.
    Yes, mainly due to MEA and it is the youth deer hunt this weekend, which is the first time being statewide this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post
    Just to add more from Flush em; MEA is a annual teacher conference thats held the sametime every year, so kiddos get thursday friday off. Let us know how many hunters you see this weekend if you make it out. I'll be in the grouse woods prepping for the deer season

I think ya'll will be pleasantly surprised in about a month or longer at how many birds there are. The crop harvest is really really behind according to the USDA report. I'm guessing Thanksgiving may be when a decent portion of it is down. I did not go out in that hurricane; I'm definitely more of a second half season hunter.

Remember that if hunting or in the woods or fields this weekend, you will need to wear deer-hunting approved blaze orange because the entire state is open to deer firearm hunting for the youth. Your traditional upland vest is not good enough. At least 50% of the area above your waist and an orange hat will be needed.

In my local area, yesterday- Thursday of MEA, was the most hunters I can ever recall seeing out aside from opening morning. Every single access point of every single piece of public land had a vehicle in it. And a few hours later a different vehicle in it. I am pretty optimistic that this will be a good season once the crops come out, and most of the hunters will have given up by that point.