Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there Huns in South Dakota.

Default Are there Huns in South Dakota.

I was wondering if there was a possibility of getting into some Huns in South Dakota?

Yes there is
    Mike

I’m guessing more to the north, since I’ve hunted the Nebraska Sandhills and they aren’t there.

There may be a few Huns in South Dakota but they are few and far between. Too few to actually specifically hunt them. You may bump a small covey while pheasant hunting but that's your only chance. Many years ago it was quite common to run into to covey but it's been a long time since I've seen a covey of Huns.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    There may be a few Huns in South Dakota but they are few and far between. Too few to actually specifically hunt them. You may bump a small covey while pheasant hunting but that's your only chance. Many years ago it was quite common to run into to covey but it's been a long time since I've seen a covey of Huns.
    Ditto. When I was a kid, you'd see a covey or 2 about every time out (down around Yankton). Now? It's VERY rare.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Much of South Dakota has turned into corn and bean country, that is not conducive to Huns in particular or pheasants either in general.

If you are looking to hunt huns, I would hunt northeast Montana.

Friend of mine was stationed at Ellsworth in the late 80s. He and a local would hunt east of there and he told me they saw Huns a lot. His favorite bird to hunt and eat. Said there were quite a few back then

Quote Originally Posted by haymaker View Post
    Much of South Dakota has turned into corn and bean country, that is not conducive to Huns in particular or pheasants either in general.
    I grew up in South West Minnesota, graduating in 1976. I hunted Hungarians literally every day of the season after school from the time I got my drivers license till I moved out of state. This was primarily corn, bean, and hay/pasture ground, with row crops predominant on the landscape. There literally were millions of them in Southwest Minnesota back in those days.(and Im assuming northwest iowa and south east south dakota) . I dont think its a corn/bean factor, but moreso of how todays corn and beans are farmed compared to back then. I think they did very well in the days of the moldboard plow, not so much today.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog View Post
    I grew up in South West Minnesota, graduating in 1976. I hunted Hungarians literally every day of the season after school from the time I got my drivers license till I moved out of state. This was primarily corn, bean, and hay/pasture ground, with row crops predominant on the landscape. There literally were millions of them in Southwest Minnesota back in those days.(and Im assuming northwest iowa and south east south dakota) . I dont think its a corn/bean factor, but moreso of how todays corn and beans are farmed compared to back then. I think they did very well in the days of the moldboard plow, not so much today.
    When we had Huns we mostly grew small grains with a little corn, now it is corn and beans and a lot of grass has turned into corn and beans. I wish I knew what the reason for their decline is.