Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 28 gauge for early season pheasants

Default 28 gauge for early season pheasants

Thoughts on 28 gauge for early season roosters?

Not my cup of tea. Not sure why a person would put that type of limitation on his/her hunt. But....you put 3/4 oz of lead 5's or 6's at around 1300 fps in the right spot at the right time....it'll kill roosters. No problem. To a point. (like maybe 30-35 yds max, before pattern density gets thin)
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

makes sense. I was just wondering what people thought. I was thinking its was to small a gauge for normal pheasant hunting. Thanks for your input.

Gentleman i hunt with in South Dakota only uses a 28 ga and absolutely murders them at anytime of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by dag View Post
    Gentleman i hunt with in South Dakota only uses a 28 ga and absolutely murders them at anytime of the season.
    It's definitely doable, but there's no doubt that for most people, a 28 gauge becomes a significant limitation at some point.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    It's definitely doable, but there's no doubt that for most people, a 28 gauge becomes a significant limitation at some point.
    the 28 throws a very efficient pattern, as someone said, 30 yards is about tops and inside is even better....a good pointing dog will give better results as well.
    i have a 28, it is a great gun to carry.

I have shot many wild roosters with a 28. Instead of IC/Mod chokes when using my 16, Mod/imp Mod seems to do the trick with the 28.

I'ii probably just stick with my 12 gauge. Just curious on any 28 gauge thoughts. thanks for the info

I don't think it limits you at all. Just know your limits and a 12, 16, 20 or 28 will all drop cocks.

I myself prefer a 20 and 28 for all types of upland birds. I'll use my 28 SxS early and sometimes late depending on the wind. If it's calm I will use the smaller gauge.

I know a guy who brings all gauges on his opening weekend hunt, from a 410 to a 10 gauge...he shoots a bird with each...so, sure, a 28 can kill a rooster...having said that, I have lost LOTS of birds over the 27 years I have been hunting pheasants intensely and most of those years have been with a 12 gauge throwing 1.25 oz of 5's at 1300+ fps...and a good % that come back to me are alive...I don't want to make it harder than it already is. But I love my 28's! shot a lot of sharp tails this year with them...and a few huns...and a ruffed grouse yesterday...magic little wands!