Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iowa Huns

Default Iowa Huns

Me and a buddy from Indiana may be visiting a friend a for a late season weekend west of Fort Dodge to tag along pheasant hunting. I have always wanted to see some huns/gray partridge. I know they are on the decline out there, but what are the chances of bumping into a covey of Huns? Looks like better chances may be east and north of Fort Dodge.

I have seen two Hungarian partridge in several years of hunting north of Fort Dodge.

I have never had the opportunity to shoot at one.

NW Iowa, seldom see more than one or two at a time. I don’t hunt them.

Most places the odds are going to be slim to none.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

I am a bleeding optimist, but figured it was not likely to come across any. A trip out to Montana and Idaho is on my bucket list, just too far and not enough time to get away for a trip like that right now. Thanks everyone. There was a time long ago that NW Indiana held a few huns. Before my lifetime

Chances are slim but I shot a pair out of a nice covey west of Fort Dodge 3-4 years ago. Also shot three out of a covey in eastern Iowa last year. Both times I was hunting pheasants and realize that I was very fortunate. Did pretty good on Huns in Idaho last season and sounds like this year will be better. Headed to ID in four weeks!

1988 was the last time we shot a Hun in eastern Iowa (Cedar Co.), though I have seen them since. They were just a bonus for the good pheasant numbers back then.

Man I have been hunting the area around Fort Dodge for years with my buddies and we never have even bumped into a covey. The Iowa DNR would tell you they are a bonus bird while out hunting pheasants.. yeah right!

Default Hun's as an Iowa "bonus bird".

I would agree that the NDR's discription is outdated. Huns were a true bonus bird 25 years ago. But today they are a rarity that their ridiculous 8 bird per day bag limit defies. I imagine that there are just slightly more Huns shot in Iowa today as ruffed grouse.

I’ve hunted NW Iowa 10 of the last 13 years and have seen 2 coveys with no shots fired on Huns. That’s hunting for a week each year from legal start to finish time and covering a lot of miles. So I wouldn’t hold my breath on finding very many but good luck and I hope you do find some.