Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Upland Forecast

I don’t care what anyone says. The worse year in South Dakota is still better than Kansas. South Dakoata has the birds because it’s big business there.

Thankful Kansas hasn’t gone that route just and hopefully never will.

Quote Originally Posted by duckn66 View Post
    I don’t care what anyone says. The worse year in South Dakota is still better than Kansas. South Dakoata has the birds because it’s big business there.

I agree with you in regards to bird numbers, but I believe the reason, rather than big business, is the amount of resting and nesting cover in SD. Additionally...I doubt it makes much of a difference, but when in SD I like to scout early, and those birds sure seem happy flying around and filling their crops without having to worry about me messin with them...until 10A.

Quote Originally Posted by Mill Creek View Post
    I agree with you in regards to bird numbers, but I believe the reason, rather than big business, is the amount of resting and nesting cover in SD. Additionally...I doubt it makes much of a difference, but when in SD I like to scout early, and those birds sure seem happy flying around and filling their crops without having to worry about me messin with them...until 10A.
    No doubt about it, being able to hunt at sunrise in SD would make it a LOT easier to get a limit. I don't mind the 10am start, I always use the time between 8 and 9:30 to drive around and scout.
    But I do think it would be pretty cool if it was possible to start at sunrise late in the season.....maybe from Dec 15 until the end of the season. That might encourage out of state hunters to take an extra late-season trip...….help to lower the rooster population going into the worst part of the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by duckn66 View Post

Doesn't South Dakota release birds into the wild or at least require their "big businesses" to do so to supplement their wild bird population? I too am glad Kansas hasn't necesarily followed that practice, if true..

Quote Originally Posted by Straightup82 View Post
    Doesn't South Dakota release birds into the wild or at least require their "big businesses" to do so to supplement their wild bird population? I too am glad Kansas hasn't necesarily followed that practice, if true..
    Kansas has around 130 licensed shooting preserves, and SD has around 200. Both states have the info on their websites.

Quote Originally Posted by roadscholar View Post
    Kansas has around 130 licensed shooting preserves, and SD has around 200. Both states have the info on their websites.
    Not sure, you guys might be talking at cross purposes. Kansas doesn’t include preserve birds in their “harvest” numbers, I have always been under the impression that SD does. And I think beyond the bird preserves, the for pay hunting lodges in SD have to put out as many birds as get shot. Is that accurate? Certainly some South Dakotans know.

Regardless, there’s more pheasants in South Dakota than Kansas. Probably for a host of reasons. But a bad season in Kansas is generally better than a good season anywhere else save South Dakota and some years North Dakota.
    My experience in Kansas is that it is for some reason spottier than other pheasant states. You can be in a good area and be seeing hundreds of birds, then 30 miles away not find a feather, then 15 miles away be hunting a field that would be the best hunt anyone had ever had in Minnesota or Nebraska.

It’s just weird.

Quote Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
    Not sure, you guys might be talking at cross purposes. Kansas doesn’t include preserve birds in their “harvest” numbers, I have always been under the impression that SD does. And I think beyond the bird preserves, the for pay hunting lodges in SD have to put out as many birds as get shot. Is that accurate? Certainly some South Dakotans know.

Regardless, there’s more pheasants in South Dakota than Kansas. Probably for a host of reasons. But a bad season in Kansas is generally better than a good season anywhere else save South Dakota and some years North Dakota.
    My experience in Kansas is that it is for some reason spottier than other pheasant states. You can be in a good area and be seeing hundreds of birds, then 30 miles away not find a feather, then 15 miles away be hunting a field that would be the best hunt anyone had ever had in Minnesota or Nebraska.

It’s just weird.
    Yeah I was just pointing out that there's a bunch of places in both states releasing birds. For the public land hunter, I don't think it's relevant in either state.

I agree about it being spottier in Kansas, based on my limited experience there. Looking forward to trying it again though!

South Dakota specifically asks responders to not include preserve birds in their harvest numbers.

Based only on what I read and see in videos, many outfitters in South Dakota are less that forthright in disclosing to clients that they are shooting planted birds. Still, this cannot affect harvest reports significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by marsingbob View Post
    Still, this cannot affect harvest reports significantly.
    I don’t know about that. Maybe, maybe not. There’s a lot of outfitters in SD.