Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell me about chicken hunting.

Default Tell me about chicken hunting.

Tips for first timer....please

It's a lot of walking and very little shooting. Great for getting yourself and the dogs toned up and in fighting form for upland season. Option B is to pattern the chickens and then just hide and wait for them to fly by, pass shooting them. But, personally, I don't think PC is all that great of table fare, so I usually just go to run the dogs and get some miles. I will shoot them over a point, but I personally wouldn't pass shoot them just because they don't taste all that good to me.

You can be successful foot-hunting them in big pastures with about any type of dog if you are willing to put in the boot miles too. If you have a pointy dog that gets out there pretty wide and holds a point, it works much better. I've shot them over a golden retriever, but I was in my 20's. I would have to be pretty desperate to do that now... haha.

Have fun chasing them, and good luck! Let me know if you find a good recipe for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    It's a lot of walking and very little shooting. Great for getting yourself and the dogs toned up and in fighting form for upland season. Option B is to pattern the chickens and then just hide and wait for them to fly by, pass shooting them. But, personally, I don't think PC is all that great of table fare, so I usually just go to run the dogs and get some miles. I will shoot them over a point, but I personally wouldn't pass shoot them just because they don't taste all that good to me.

You can be successful foot-hunting them in big pastures with about any type of dog if you are willing to put in the boot miles too. If you have a pointy dog that gets out there pretty wide and holds a point, it works much better. I've shot them over a golden retriever, but I was in my 20's. I would have to be pretty desperate to do that now... haha.

Have fun chasing them, and good luck! Let me know if you find a good recipe for them.
    Brine them and cook them like doves or duck.

what Toad said.......also, bacon wrap them along with an old tennis shoe.....bake slowly and enjoy the shoe!

I tried last year for the first time in a couple of decades. The roads were a mess and I couldn't get to several of the places I planned to go. Finally found a WIHA I could reach without risking getting stuck and rutting up the roads. We found some Chickens, but couldn't get close enough for a point or a kill. I only had a pup with me since my old dog was nursing an injury. She acted birdy once when the wind was right, but the birds flushed at probably 60 yards. Another time the wind was wrong and somehow they flushed on the edge of range. I threw up a hail mary and didn't connect. I was expecting to find them in light cover (at least to this pheasant hunter's eyes), but it was much lighter than I would have guessed. And they were on the tops of the hills, where cover was lightest, and it was raining lightly.

The really surprising thing is that we saw a group of about 6 hunters with maybe 4-5 dogs hunting the same very large WIHA. I didn't expect to have competition for chicken hunting spots.

I'm going again this year, but attitude is much like Toad's. It's about exercise and practice for the dogs.

I tried to eat them years ago when I pass shot them flying into feed fields. If you like ducks and doves, you'll like Chicken. I don't. If I shoot one this year I'll eat it, but I wouldn't be disappointed to come home with just tired dogs and a couple of empty shells.

I have always hunted them like I would hunt ducks or doves. Pattern them, they are pretty consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    I tried last year for the first time in a couple of decades. The roads were a mess and I couldn't get to several of the places I planned to go. Finally found a WIHA I could reach without risking getting stuck and rutting up the roads. We found some Chickens, but couldn't get close enough for a point or a kill. I only had a pup with me since my old dog was nursing an injury. She acted birdy once when the wind was right, but the birds flushed at probably 60 yards. Another time the wind was wrong and somehow they flushed on the edge of range. I threw up a hail mary and didn't connect. I was expecting to find them in light cover (at least to this pheasant hunter's eyes), but it was much lighter than I would have guessed. And they were on the tops of the hills, where cover was lightest, and it was raining lightly.

The really surprising thing is that we saw a group of about 6 hunters with maybe 4-5 dogs hunting the same very large WIHA. I didn't expect to have competition for chicken hunting spots.

I'm going again this year, but attitude is much like Toad's. It's about exercise and practice for the dogs.

I tried to eat them years ago when I pass shot them flying into feed fields. If you like ducks and doves, you'll like Chicken. I don't. If I shoot one this year I'll eat it, but I wouldn't be disappointed to come home with just tired dogs and a couple of empty shells.
    matto I heard that walking with the wind at your back is about the only way to get close to them with a flushing dog because they will get up into the wind and hang there for a second.
    I'm really just going out for the walk. Do you guys ever see quail or pheasants in the same field as chickens?
    I'm thinking north central maybe northwest if I need to. Haven't really looked at a walkin map yet. Thanks for the help guys.

The Smoky Hills and the Flint Hills are the better spots. Native grass Pastures with good bug populations , hunt the tops of hills and lots of boot Leather . Run a pointing dog if you have one .

I agree with wkbowhunter.

All of the chicken hunters I know shoot them in a small window after sunrise or just before sunset. They will fly from the "feed" fields to their roost areas in the evening. Many times, in quite large numbers. When you find a good pattern, it should be easy for your group to limit out. As usual, the hard work is finding the pattern.

I have seen county dirt roads lined with trucks and numerous hunters crouched in the bar ditch toward the incoming flight direction. Although, that was many years ago - I don't know how the numbers of birds match up to hunters recently.

I haven't hunted chickens in 30 years, so my data is certainly out of date.

However, in that time period we used to see flocks in the air that you could follow by car if they were parallel to the roads.

We also used to see big flocks in cut soybean fields. They would be cleaning up all of the beans that reached the ground. A flock of 60-80 is easy to see in a bean field after a snow has knocked the cover flat.