Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Tell me about chicken hunting.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South-Central Kansas
    Posts
    37

    Default

    My Best Prairie Chicken hunting story:

    My little brother and a group of his buddies had a good chicken spot in the Kansas Flint Hills. They would frequently get a shot with the bird flying straight at them, and sometimes a bird would fall right at their feet.

    Of course, one of his friends had the bright idea to try and catch a shot bird. Pete lined up beside the best shooter, who subsequently hit a bird that was headed almost right at them. Pete ran over and squared up on the bird like a soccer goalie. The bird hit him flush in the sternum and knocked him flat on his a**. The ensuing 10 minutes of raucous laughter may have scared away the remainder of the chicken flights for that evening.

    It turns out that a 2.5 lb bird travelling at 35 MPH packs quite a wallop.

    They all got up early the next day to go quail hunting, but Pete was complaining he was having trouble breathing. He pulled up his shirt for an examination, and revealed a bruise the size of a volleyball. Once again, sparking a round of laughter.

    Rumor has it, that they decided having the dogs retrieve downed quail was a much safer sport than catching prairie chickens in the air!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SEK
    Posts
    89

    Default

    I recall my dad taking me as a young kid on opening mornings of chicken season. Early morning hours and the country roads lined with vehicles as everyone set up to pass shoots the chickens. I don't think there is a chicken within three countys of that spot now.
    I'm hoping to make a trip or 2 to try my hand at getting one pointed this year but it's more just an excuse to get the dogs out than anything.

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jet View Post
    I recall my dad taking me as a young kid on opening mornings of chicken season. Early morning hours and the country roads lined with vehicles as everyone set up to pass shoots the chickens. I don't think there is a chicken within three countys of that spot now.
    I'm hoping to make a trip or 2 to try my hand at getting one pointed this year but it's more just an excuse to get the dogs out than anything.
    Many places that used to have a lot of prairie chickens have not had a chicken on them in over 30 years. I don't know what part of SEK you are from, but we used to have quite a few in cherokee county. They were still a few to hunt in the early 80's but the last one I saw was around 1991. Have not seen one in that county since.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    383

    Default

    The greater sin NE Oklahoma have all but disappeared.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wichita,KS.
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    matto, Thanks for the tip. Ended up finding some chickens. Missed an easy one and then took one in the field east of there. I can cross that off list. Allergies hit me as hard as dove hunting only with hills. I can see why it's a pointing dog game. Have two maybe three hours to cover some ground before the temp hits the mid 80s. We did allright though. Working with wind at our back the singles flushed close. Skeet tube would have been a better choke. The one flock found the dog ran through at about 50. If she wasnt headed for the pond we would have gotten a shot. Thanks for the help guys.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    NE Kansas
    Posts
    25

    Default

    We've got our annual PC hunt on the skeddy for Oct 4th-6th. Last year we at least saw a few, maybe this year we will get a shot off at one. Regardless, always a good time to get the dogs out and run!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownDogsCan2 View Post
    matto, Thanks for the tip. Ended up finding some chickens. Missed an easy one and then took one in the field east of there. I can cross that off list. Allergies hit me as hard as dove hunting only with hills. I can see why it's a pointing dog game. Have two maybe three hours to cover some ground before the temp hits the mid 80s. We did allright though. Working with wind at our back the singles flushed close. Skeet tube would have been a better choke. The one flock found the dog ran through at about 50. If she wasnt headed for the pond we would have gotten a shot. Thanks for the help guys.
    Good the hear that they're still there and glad you got one! I headed up this weekend.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wichita,KS.
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    Got out again on Sun.. the weather being cooler ,,was actually kind of fun.

    20190929_110627.jpg
    Last edited by BrownDogsCan2; 09-30-2019 at 12:09 PM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Great photo. We were planning to go the 22nd, but rescheduled to the 28th. We saw plenty and shot one. My son missed an easy one in the hayfield that's just off camera to the right, if that's the spot I'm thinking of. It was even pointed! Packed up and headed home about 11 just as the rain was coming in. It seems I'm crazy enough to hunt chickens, but not crazy enough to hunt them in the rain.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wichita,KS.
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    Great photo. We were planning to go the 22nd, but rescheduled to the 28th. We saw plenty and shot one. My son missed an easy one in the hayfield that's just off camera to the right, if that's the spot I'm thinking of. It was even pointed! Packed up and headed home about 11 just as the rain was coming in. It seems I'm crazy enough to hunt chickens, but not crazy enough to hunt them in the rain.
    Yep that's the spot. I didn't see but the two. There's a pond
    at the northwest end of that pasture before you get to the milo that the dam blew out on and another little pond right there beside the blowout,,,if a person were into it it would
    be a pretty nice little dove shoot after chicken hunting. Lot of dead trees down in there they were roosting in.
    Good luck when you get out again, I appreciate the help, it was a lot less intimidating for a first timer knowing that there were chickens to be found.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •