Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solo Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by KSBrittman View Post
    The most successful pheasant hunters run Britt’s
    I will take that bet.

Thanks for all of the help! I am really looking forward to it! I have 2 Drahthaars and this will be their 4th outing. They are really starting to put it all together. In all reality, I like watching them work more than anything else. Killing some birds is just a bonus. The only part I am not looking forward to is the drive from Utah!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyLow View Post
    Thanks for all of the help! I am really looking forward to it! I have 2 Drahthaars and this will be their 4th outing. They are really starting to put it all together. In all reality, I like watching them work more than anything else. Killing some birds is just a bonus. The only part I am not looking forward to is the drive from Utah!
    Good luck this year. I won't bother chiming in on the advice because you've already received a ton of good tips. I will agree with most on the knocking on doors. I wouldn't hesitate, especially later in the year, and I agree that you probably have a better chance of receiving permission since you are solo. Have fun in Kansas.

A group of 4 of us are coming to Kansas for the first time in early January. Enjoy all the advice in this thread. I also never knock on doors. Always figure farmers are too busy to be bothered as hunting season usually means harvest season. I also think it stems from watching my dad (as a young hunter sitting in the station wagon) getting shot down time and time again. Staying in Lucas and willing to drive if anyone wants to point us in a direction.

Somewhere in this KS subforum, a poster talked about seeing pheasants in SW. Reports from wheat harvesters in NW are that there are not many pheasants, but some quail.
    - From the office of Colt, Stoeger, Browning & Savage
    - Kansas: Big Cock Country

I learned an important lesson about being quiet in a popular WIHA on opening day.

The area was a good drive from home, and we arrived about 30 minutes before legal hunting time. We were sitting quietly in two trucks when another group of hunters arrived at the other end of our cover - and exactly a 1/2 mile away. They hopped out of their trucks and slammed doors and tailgates and then yelled for dogs.

It was a foggy morning and still 10 minutes until legal hunting time. However, only a few minutes after these guys arrived, we were amazed to watch at least 60 pheasants calmly walk past our trucks. If it was legal, I think I could have killed 20 hens and 3 roosters with a long tennis racket while still seated in the truck.

We were parked in a patch of mostly bare ground surrounded by really thick cover. So I am sure we had a pretty good view of any adjacent bird traffic, but I have no idea how many other birds snuck out of the field in other directions!

I think your odds of shooting these birds are much higher when you are hunting alone!

P.S. Of course the idiots in this story started hunting before legal hunting time. However, prior to that event, I am sure I was also an idiot on several occasions. I am pretty certain that even when we were "quiet", we still managed to push the pheasants just due to the noise of getting out of our vehicles and preparing to hunt.

I mostly hunted quail as a youth, and we had one spot where our dog would point a covey (most years) about 40 yards from the parking spot. I think noise scares the quail into a tighter covey in some circumstances. However, I am still amazed at how readily those WIHA pheasants exited the field a full 1/2 mile ahead of the hunting pressure.

I know this is 180 degrees off topic from the OP, but do the experienced "large group" pheasant hunters on the forum have any good advice on the best way to insert the blockers in a stealthy manner?