Thread: 870 Wingmaster

Default 870 Wingmaster

Anyone use a 12ga. 870 Wingmaster for their pheasant hunting? My main gun is a 12ga. L.H. Benelli Montefeltro and I am thinking about taking my 12ga. L.H. Wingmaster along also this year to S.D.

Yep, great gun. My brother in law uses one as his primary and I use one as a back up. Reliable is the best way to put it.

A few years ago I got into semi-autos and that's what I use 95% of the time now.

But my all-around/do-everything shotgun for about 25 years was my late-70's 12ga wingmaster. 28" barrel, fixed mod choke.
    It was the only shotgun I owned, and I used it for everything- quail, dove, phez, ducks. Love that gun, and I'll never let it go.

I used my Wingmaster on pheasant for most of my life. I switched to a Montefeltro 12 and an O/U 12 but the Wingmaster is tough to beat.

I always have mine with as my back up. They are always reliable.

Lefty, just a reminder to make sure you pump the 870 after each shot! I grew up shooting a pump and the "pump action" became so automatic I didn't even know I had brought the action back and forth. Fast forward about 30 years and having shot nothing but autos and O/U's during that time. A few years ago I purchased a Model 12 in 16 ga. Thought it would be fun to go back to the gun I grew up shooting. I had might as well been carrying a single shot. That automatic "pump action" of mine was gone. Pulled the trigger and fired a round and then continued to try and pull the trigger for a second shot. So just a word of caution if you haven't shot a pump in a number of years.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    Lefty, just a reminder to make sure you pump the 870 after each shot! I grew up shooting a pump and the "pump action" became so automatic I didn't even know I had brought the action back and forth. Fast forward about 30 years and having shot nothing but autos and O/U's during that time. A few years ago I purchased a Model 12 in 16 ga. Thought it would be fun to go back to the gun I grew up shooting. I had might as well been carrying a single shot. That automatic "pump action" of mine was gone. Pulled the trigger and fired a round and then continued to try and pull the trigger for a second shot. So just a word of caution if you haven't shot a pump in a number of years.
    Thanks Zeb, but I don't have that problem. I have had the 870 since the late 80's and it was my waterfowl gun for years. I shot it at sporting clays about a month ago and did quite well with it. I have never had a problem switching between pumps, SxS's, O/U's, or semi-autos.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post

I had the exact same thing happen when I took my 870 on a duck hunt the season before last. The first two or three groups of birds that came in, I shot once and then tried to shoot again without pumping. It came back to me after that, but I was pretty rusty at first after about 3 seasons of only shooting semi-autos.