Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First SD trip

Default First SD trip

Making first trip to SD. Staying in Webster and hunting public first week of November. Anyone hunt this area and are you being successful. Second any thoughts on whether crops will still be in and how much that will affect me.

Hi, I think you will find the Webster area has been extremely wet and probably not that great of an area. If you know someone that says there are birds there then great but I think it won't be that good. Great waterfowl though.

Can you suggest a better area to focus on. Is there Anything close to Webster so I don’t have to change reservations. Aberdeen. Maybe. I don’t mind driving a bit while I’m there.

Probably further west and south. I live west of Aberdeen and I think it is going to be tough going here after the winter we had.

Thank you. I’ve seen some older posts about miller which is south and west of Aberdeen. Thanks for the advise. Since your near Aberdeen any suggestions on lodging near the area. I was planning on Lynn lake lodge in Webster. I like the setup and I have a dog

As haymaker said, Webster is not in a prime pheasant area. There are birds but not like in other parts of the state. And it has been extremely wet this year in that area as well as around my area of Watertown. We got 2.5 inches yesterday and I've never seem so much water standing everywhere. Areas around Webster got over five inches of rain yesterday on top of already water logged fields. I think a lot of land will be impossible to hunt due to standing water. Many areas of the state took a hit with the bad winter and now we've had one of the wettest springs and summers on record. Not sure how hunting will be this year. If I was you I would wait until the road count survey is completed and the results posted later this month before choosing an area. Good luck.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Thank you for the advice. Hopefully numbers look good as a whole for the star.

if you are driving from far away, this may be a good season to stay home.

I would not stay home personally as a bad SD year is likely better than most anywhere else. I would look to the west if Webster though. Nice thing of the 10 am start is it leaves a lot Of time for scouting and traveling if needed. I have a contact that has some rentals around Faulkton if you are interested. Shoot me a PM and I will do some checking for the contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter94 View Post
    if you are driving from far away, this may be a good season to stay home.
    And do what?
    Mike