Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mott Area

Are there many Huns in the Mott area, I’m thinking of making a trip mid October ?

Huns were plentiful but all in private ground. Grouse are around if you put in the miles, saw pheasants but I wouldn’t call them overly plentiful. Grass lands south of Leith were really good for grouse.

Quote Originally Posted by tbob131 View Post
    Huns were plentiful but all in private ground. Grouse are around if you put in the miles, saw pheasants but I wouldn’t call them overly plentiful. Grass lands south of Leith were really good for grouse.
    my experience in going at least once annually over the last 15 years, is I would see a covey a trip at most. That said I am hunting the most likely pheasant cover ,on both public, and private lands.. I think weather has been very hard on them over the last 3-5 years....

I saw 4 coveys when I was there. One had around 15 in it, 2 with 8 to 10, and one covey right around the landowners drive had at least 25 in it. The others we were able to get pointed, but the big covey we never go close to other than when driving in. That covey is still haunting me!!

If I go to N Dakota it would be partially before the 19th when plots open, how much would that hurt me. Is there other good public access. I wouldn’t even consider going to Kansas if the walking areas there weren’t open.

That was my first trip, I’m really not the best person to ask, but I would not go there without some private ground to hunt locked up in advance what o found out is people will
    Let you hunt grouse and Huns, but a lot of pheasant ground seems to be already tied up. Leases etc.