Definitely came out on Monday Aug 27 last year-

https://gfp.sd.gov/news/detail/1197/

Quote Originally Posted by roadscholar View Post
    Definitely came out on Monday Aug 27 last year-

https://gfp.sd.gov/news/detail/1197/
    This is LAST year's report....

Quote Originally Posted by gettinbirdie View Post
    This is LAST year's report....
    Yes, that's why my post VERY CLEARLY says "Definitely came out on Monday Aug 27 last year".

They're making us suffer a little bit this year...... It has no bearing on whether or not I'm going, but I really like to read the report.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm going, going to the same area where there are great memories and super people that I have met through the years that have welcomed me and shared their land and homes. It really doesn't matter what the report says. I'll study it just like I do the public land atlas, but I'm going regardless. It is just that important! Pretty sure my 4 Brits feel the same way...

Same here, I'm going regardless of what the report says. To be honest, I saw just as many birds year before last as I did last year, even though the report said a pretty big increase.
    But I still can't wait to see the report!!

While I don’t put much stock in the brood survey because it really only shows trends at best…..I do love pheasant season & I do love playing with numbers.

So when the brood survey comes out, I put the data into my own spreadsheet, which also contains data from another SD GF&P document with historical statistics. This other sheet is made after the season is over & hunter surveys are taken. It factors in survey responses, as well as things like weather, crop harvest, etc. They use all that info to come up with a preseason population estimate for that past year, as well as a harvest estimate.

Only half of the past 20 years has the change in brood count followed the change in preseason population remotely closely. And by remotely closely, I mean within 15 percentage points or so. On average, the change in brood count and the change in preseason population are over 20 points different (with several years 40-80 points apart). 4 of the last 20 years, where the brood survey indicated an increase or decrease, the adjusted preseason population estimate indicated the opposite.

Interestingly, last year they estimate there were 7.1M birds preseason (which is pretty good), but only 951,000 shot. This is only 7.8 birds/hunter, which is way on the low side.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

roadscholar --- Agree.

Thank you A5 Sweet 16! I thought maybe I was the only one that dove way too deep into all that stuff including harvest information per county.
    I agree that the survey doesn't always match what I see while hunting. Some of my better years were when the survey was not good.
    By the way, I grew up shooting a sweet 16 in the 60s and 70s. Like the A5?

i'd like to know the specific routes they take when doing these surveys. If they do the same routes over the last 20 years there will be a lot of new crep wpa's and public shooting areas that will be missed with a lot of production that can happen on these pieces of ground.

I'm out there in SD for the adventure of hunting new areas with friends and the dogs. Each year we go out and find birds, hoping this year is the same.

Specific routes...I inquired about this a few years ago and never got a response. Must be "classified" government info..