Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 brood report

Talked with a couple contacts in SD yesterday and today. Their opinions were similar numbers to last year. Rain continues to fall and wheat harvest that should have been done week or two ago is still going. Spring wheat harvest not started yet. No hail in the areas we hunt but as close as 3 miles away so lucky there for the farmers. Should be within a couple weeks of roadside counts getting published. Will be interesting.

I understand that S. Dakota releases birds. Does any one know when that happens. For the first time in about 50 years they are going to release birds here in Michigan. Just wondering how far in advance of the season opener they can be released and still except a good survival rate foe the birds.

The state does not release birds. Plenty of private pheasant farms do

To answer the other question. The survival rate is next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by 2setters View Post
    I understand that S. Dakota releases birds. Does any one know when that happens. For the first time in about 50 years they are going to release birds here in Michigan. Just wondering how far in advance of the season opener they can be released and still except a good survival rate foe the birds.
    This has been discussed on this site many times in the past. Once and for all, the State of South Dakota (Game, Fish & Parks) does not release pheasants.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    This has been discussed on this site many times in the past. Once and for all, the State of South Dakota (Game, Fish & Parks) does not release pheasants.
    Correct, once & for all, SD GF&P does NOT release pheasants.

But....some private land owners do. And any place that operates as a "preserve" has to by law. I think they have to release at least 600 roosters per year, or as many as get shot, whichever is more.

Also, some other organizations (habitat groups, etc.) release birds to promote youth hunting & things like that. I honestly don't know if they're allowed to release them onto public land.

In almost 40 years of hunting public land in SD (probably right around 1,000 days hunting), I've shot only 3 birds that have been pen-raised. All in the same spot (a WPA near Ramona) in 2 consecutive days. They were tagged & released by a group in Madison to try to get kids out to hunt. That particular dog, while a very aggressive hunter, was not an aggressive killer. So he didn't catch any of those 3, but very nearly. There was a substantial foot chase on each one before they finally flew. Briefly.
    Last edited by A5 Sweet 16; 08-26-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Release birds same morning of hunt for best results. Pen raised birds have no survival instinct and will not survive very long typically. Also expect your retriever to catch most of them. Last time I trained my lab on pen raised birds at a preserve my dog caught all 10 pheasants. It was a sad state of affairs, as I had to get him to drop the birds then throw them in the air to get them to fly for my 10 year old to shoot. Pen raised birds are better then nothing but don't expect it to be like hunting wild birds.

Talked to another farmer today and his opinion for his area is better numbers than the last two years. Roadside report should be out within a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
    Talked to another farmer today and his opinion for his area is better numbers than the last two years. Roadside report should be out within a week or so.
    That's very good news!
    I'm hoping the report comes out any day now.....it came out last year on Aug 27.

The last few years the report comes out the last Friday in August