Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 56

Thread: 2019 brood report

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randywatson View Post
    i'd like to know the specific routes they take when doing these surveys. If they do the same routes over the last 20 years there will be a lot of new crep wpa's and public shooting areas that will be missed with a lot of production that can happen on these pieces of ground.

    I'm out there in SD for the adventure of hunting new areas with friends and the dogs. Each year we go out and find birds, hoping this year is the same.
    There has been a lot more big block (1/4 section or larger) CRP acreage lost in the last 20-years than CREP or public land acquisitions added. I get your point though that as habitat acreage comes and goes under the farm bill programs etc. that the value in the count is likely more on a region wide or statewide basis than local.
    Last edited by Downtown Bang!; 08-31-2019 at 06:17 AM.
    Chasing Roosters with a flushing dog on public land. As God intended.......

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    336

    Default

    [sarcasm]South Dakota Tourism is having the SDGFP re-write the survey results and buying time until they can secure an order for another 1000 semi loads of pen raised roosters[sarcasm]
    Chasing Roosters with a flushing dog on public land. As God intended.......

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Knoxville TN
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Interesting article about the annual road survey --
    http://theoutdoorforum.net/index.php...-south-dakota/

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by randywatson View Post
    i'd like to know the specific routes they take when doing these surveys.
    They do the same routes every year.

    routes.png

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    882

    Default

    I believe the map above comes from the "South Dakota Pheasant Management Plan". Google it. It's great reading.
    Interestingly, it says, "It should be noted that no licensed shooting preserve statistics are used in the statewide population or harvest estimates."
    That said, when surveys are sent out (at random) & returned after the season, I assume some of the data comes from people who hunted at preserves.
    Therefore, my guess is that preserve hunting influences population & harvest estimates, but not greatly.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    49

    Default

    I noticed that the brood survey report is on the agenda for the GFP Commission Meeting in Spearfish, Sept. 5-6. Not sure if that means it will be discussed (after being published) or if it will be reviewed internally before public release sometime after this meeting.

    Like others have noted, the results of the report do not affect my plans - I'm making several trips to SD either way - but it is always good to read the results and discussion in the report to have some level of expectations.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Glenview, Illinois
    Posts
    349

    Default

    Amd
    Quote Originally Posted by Woollybob View Post
    I noticed that the brood survey report is on the agenda for the GFP Commission Meeting in Spearfish, Sept. 5-6. Not sure if that means it will be discussed (after being published) or if it will be reviewed internally before public release sometime after this meeting.

    Like others have noted, the results of the report do not affect my plans - I'm making several trips to SD either way - but it is always good to read the results and discussion in the report to have some level of expectations.
    We use this report to determine our trip. Only one year we didnít go and that was the bad drought year 2 years ago. Great decision by our group as the guys that hunted that land all season had terrible success with many trips no birds harvested. SD is too far and expensive to travel for little or no birds.
    Hope this report is positive or at least numbers similar to last year that werenít that great.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybob View Post
    Hope this report is positive or at least numbers similar to last year that weren’t that great.
    Point of fact....last year the GF&P estimates there were 7.1M birds in SD, which is only 8.2% below the average for the last 20 years, which includes the years of huge numbers (2003-2010). Last year's estimate is higher than 7 of the last 20 years. More birds in the state than in any year from 1964-2002. I guess you could say that's "not that great"....but it sure wasn't that bad either. Yes, some areas were fairly poor last year (happens every year), but on average, what made last year frustrating for many people was the tough hunting conditions.
    Last edited by A5 Sweet 16; 09-03-2019 at 02:06 PM.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    Point of fact....last year the GF&P estimates there were 7.1M birds in SD, which is only 8.2% below the average for the last 20 years, which includes the years of huge numbers (2003-2010). Last year's estimate is higher than 7 of the last 20 years. More birds in the state than in any year from 1964-2002. I guess you could say that's "not that great"....but it sure wasn't that bad either. Yes, some areas were fairly poor last year (happens every year), but on average, what made last year frustrating for many people was the tough hunting conditions.
    I have to agree - last year was not too bad (for us, at least). It's not like the 2003-2010 boom years, but those were more unusual (on the positive side) than where we are now. Seems that a lot of those that struggled through the last 2 dry seasons were following the 'hunt the same ground every year' pattern. We had to completely shift where we hunted based on the conditions - All the good old honey holes of the past were mowed, grazed, or too thin/dry to hold birds. We had to search out areas that concentrated birds in dry conditions - nothing we had hunted in the past.

    But, I will say that I don't understand how GFP makes their estimates on the preseason population. It involves a lot more than the brood survey and I have a hard time believing the population last year was anywhere near the 10 year ago mark (as it would indicate). Below is a graph comparing the reported population estimate vs. observed PPM from the brood survey. The 2018 estimate is a bit of an outlier - would expect the estimate to be below 4M birds, purely based on PPM. Not sure what other data they use to justify the high estimate.

    PreseasonPop.png

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Woollybob View Post
    I have to agree - last year was not too bad (for us, at least). It's not like the 2003-2010 boom years, but those were more unusual (on the positive side) than where we are now. Seems that a lot of those that struggled through the last 2 dry seasons were following the 'hunt the same ground every year' pattern. We had to completely shift where we hunted based on the conditions - All the good old honey holes of the past were mowed, grazed, or too thin/dry to hold birds. We had to search out areas that concentrated birds in dry conditions - nothing we had hunted in the past.

    But, I will say that I don't understand how GFP makes their estimates on the preseason population. It involves a lot more than the brood survey and I have a hard time believing the population last year was anywhere near the 10 year ago mark (as it would indicate). Below is a graph comparing the reported population estimate vs. observed PPM from the brood survey. The 2018 estimate is a bit of an outlier - would expect the estimate to be below 4M birds, purely based on PPM. Not sure what other data they use to justify the high estimate.

    PreseasonPop.png
    the delay in the publication of the fall brood survey has me wondering......it can't be good and what is SDGF up to? lots of dollars at stake with the results. a claim for a late hatch to bolster the numbers?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •