Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Camper?

BritChaser,

Found that old picture of the setup in the back of my F-250 Crew/Shortbed. This is what my son and I slept in on that trip. Obviously, I still have it. The kennel is corn cribbing, pretty stout stuff. You can see one of the sheets of plywood on the bed. I had one on top of the kennel to make a flat surface. My son had the one where it is right now. Worked great with the quick pop-up tent for gear. Looking back is making me nostalgic!

Good luck to you!

I would definitely need some brown water before trying to fall asleep on top of that dog kennel! My back hurts just thinking about it. haha...

I let the dogs run loose (no kennel) inside my tent at night, which is nice. They put out a lot of heat, and really shove themselves against the sleeping bag pretty well.

Actually it was pretty good. I put the sheet of plywood down on top of the kennel, had a top quality comfy Cabela's pad on top of that and then a good Slumberjack sleeping bag. Same setup for my son on the pickup bed. Plywood/pad/bag.

Of course, a good day afield and brown water doesn't hurt. When I used to hunt elk in the Rockies, one of the team had a dad that made high quality 'shine in North Carolina. We named it Old Rocksoftener. One good pull of that stuff and you could sleep on anything. Made good firestarter too.....

Old Rocksoftener sounds like some tasty stuff.
    - From the office of Colt, Stoeger, Browning & Savage
    - Kansas: Big Cock Country

The wife and I went to Alaska last year and camped out of the back of the truck (RAM 4 door) with a fiberglass topper. We added a 4" foam pad to the back of the truck (money well spent). It worked great, rolled the bed forward during the day and put coolers in the back. At night we put extra gear in the front of the truck (bear country). The only thing I might take next time is a solar or propane powered shower. We paid for a motel when we needed a shower/laundry. Jetboil for quick coffee in the morning and Mountain House in the evening if you don't want to cook.
    "It takes birds to make a bird dog"

I know this is a bit of an old thread but have to share anyway. I had a platform bed under my fiberglass topper. The platform made from 3/4"plywood was raised just enough to get over the wheel wells. It was supported by 2x6s which also provided nice slots. One for guns, one had a sort of drawer system for hats, gloves, knives, etc and the last section held a rubbermaid tub with cooking utensils and the camp stove. Bought a full size foam mattress from IKEA for sleeping. The dog could be either be wandering around or could have the kennel next to the bed. When wet and muddy - always in the kennel. I also wired LED lights in the topper...

With a truck camper, you can camp anywhere
    They are great.Just pull off the road, in the ditch, or whatever. I've never been hassled. They pay for themselves real quick.You can get an old one for 500 dollars.Look on Craigslist. I rigged mine up with a tv.

I know that you said you didn’t want a trailer but I had a 17’ Fun Finder camper that I pulled behind my crew cab Nissan Frontier that we really enjoyed. We would park in a city park or campground and hunt the area until we were ready to move and the go find somewhere else. It’s nice to be able to stand up and move around inside and it’s nice to have a good warm bed and place to sleep after a long day of hunting. The camper had a stove but I cooked outside and only used the two burner propane stove to boil water for coffee. It had a battery to run LED lights if we didn’t have electricity. We spent a lot of time in that camper and hunted some great areas in SD, NE and KS until we bought our cabin. We didn’t use the camper once in 18 months so I finally sold it.
    Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius.
    - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by dekuiper View Post
    I know this is a bit of an old thread but have to share anyway. I had a platform bed under my fiberglass topper. The platform made from 3/4"plywood was raised just enough to get over the wheel wells. It was supported by 2x6s which also provided nice slots. One for guns, one had a sort of drawer system for hats, gloves, knives, etc and the last section held a rubbermaid tub with cooking utensils and the camp stove. Bought a full size foam mattress from IKEA for sleeping. The dog could be either be wandering around or could have the kennel next to the bed. When wet and muddy - always in the kennel. I also wired LED lights in the topper...
    I would never put my best friend in a kennel!

Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    I would never put my best friend in a kennel!
    Sleeping at night... your opinion, no right or wrong answer. But while driving, that's like saying, "I would never make my best friend (child) where a seat belt!"