Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Camper?

Default Which Camper?

Retiring soon and hope to spend more time outdoors camping, fishing (wading and tubing), and hunting. Thinking about getting some kind of camper - pickup or popup, but not a trailer or fifth wheel. I'm a minimalist and think I don't even want a galley; I can cook with my little portable grill and Coleman stove. It's just me and the dog.

Would like to hear what your experiences have been with pickup and popup campers. Thanks.
    Last edited by BritChaser; 07-29-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    - From the office of Colt, Stoeger, Browning & Savage
    - Kansas: Big Cock Country

If you are a true minimalist, this isn't much of a discussion. What do you want to be hauling a trailer around pothole dirt roads or gumbo.... just get the pickup bed hard side camper. Cant trailer a boat with a pop up either....

If you are going to have more than just a guy and a dog, you will want to get a hotel, if just you I wouldn't hesitate to get the truck model

Quote Originally Posted by Flushedup View Post
    If you are a true minimalist, this isn't much of a discussion. What do you want to be hauling a trailer around pothole dirt roads or gumbo.... just get the pickup bed hard side camper. Cant trailer a boat with a pop up either....

If you are going to have more than just a guy and a dog, you will want to get a hotel, if just you I wouldn't hesitate to get the truck model
    Thanks for the info. Just me and the dog; no boat.

I'd go with the pickup camper as well. Can pretty much set up anywhere then.

Congrats on your retirement. The last couple years I have incorporated tent camping into my hunting and it has been a lot more fun than staying in a hotel (when the weather is decent). I imagine you will have a great time with your camper and enjoy your hunting trips even more than before. Let us know what you end up getting.

Toad, thank you for the good wishes.

Personally, I’d like a truck Bed tent. More set-up and take down work, but you keep the use of your bed for transport, and it saves bucking the wind for fuel mileage. However, I’m not near retirement age and my views may change when I get to that point.

Shoot I'd be happy with a soft topper and a paco sleeping pad. Better yet you could have them crease the pad so you could fold it in half and have room for a dogbox when your not sleeping on it. I know they use to make one with wheel well cutouts that fit a pickup bed. Paco pads are pvc welded white water rafting pads.

BritChaser
    More years ago than I care to remember I set out from Kansas City with my eldest son (and 3 Labs) on a long college graduation hunt for him. Drove up to Alberta, Canada to a friends place and pretty much hunted our way back. Ducks & Geese in Canada, Pheasant in ND, SD, NE and ended back in KS. We were gone quite a while.

We did this with just a good capper on the back of my Crew Cab F-250. I posted a picture somewhere here of the back of the truck with a wire kennel that ran the length of the pickup bed on the left side which was half width of the bed. I ripped a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" plywood into 2X6.5 and that was my sleeping platform on top to the kennel. My son got the other half of the plywood on the bed itself next to the kennel. Dogs just slept in the kennel.

Pretty much like you plan, we took a Coleman stove and a small hibachi grill. Cooler and basic cooking pots/pans/utensils. We also had a small nylon pop-up camping tent that set up in a flash. This is a pretty handy thing for making room in the truck bed to sleep AND it keeps your gear squared away if it rains or snows. We got both of those.

So, we'd hunt all day, find a camp ground or park or even just the parking area for some state public hunting. Always a bonus if it had a picnic table. We'd pop the little tent, put the excess gear in that. Roll out the sleeping pads and bags in the bed. Cook (mostly what we shot). Drink a little dark brown water, talk about the day and the dogs. Then go to bed. Get up, do it all over.

Great times. We both have fond memories.

So what you are planning...minimalist...can be accomplished pretty easily in my opinion. Starts with a good capper on the pickup.

Heckuva nice trip for you and your college grad son. Great info too. I think your camping style is pretty much on all fours with mine, especially the brown water detail.
    Last edited by BritChaser; 07-31-2019 at 11:48 AM.