Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dusky Grouse scouting trip/Blue Mesa fishing trip footage

Default Dusky Grouse scouting trip/Blue Mesa fishing trip footage

Hello All,

With dusky season fast approaching I figured I would take a trip down to the Gunnison area and check it out/ do some fishing at big blue. After driving the back county/talking to locals/and doing some evening hikes my thoughts are as follows...

1) Gunnison makes a great home base for grouse hunting (food,lodging,grouse habitat in all 4 directions)
    2) Know the difference between a Gunnison sage grouse and a dusky...they have been known to use the same habitat in late summer and the Gunnison sage grouse is a protected species
    3) Take a lot of water for you and your dog...there is not a lot of water around the dusky habitat
    4) When it rains the back roads get super slick!
    5) Get yourself and your dog(s) in shape now. It is really big country and accessing prime habitat often means long hikes.

Hope this helps...below is some fishing footage from Blue Mesa.

Enjoy!
    Kiva

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McBx8PSWZLI&t=765s

Did you see any Grouse?

No grouse sighted but I was fishing most of the time.

Very nice video

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Very nice video
    thanks turtle

#3 and #5 are rather important. Covered 12 miles before the first covey busted out. But if Iím correct this is what blue grouse look like.48ED5772-8E60-4EA8-82D6-768C677D5068.jpeg
    "When I am not hunting I am thinking about hunting. Hunting is on my mind because it is in my blood."
    -- Jim Shockey

Nice work uplandhunter. Hunted two different national forest and founds birds everywhere we went but the brood sizes were small and young! I think the cool wet start to summer might have messed the nests up in some areas.

Thanks Frangler.
    There were signs of large amounts of water where we were. I agree that the heavy winter snows and abnormally wet spring messed with the nesting season. Usually there is an abundance of rose hips as well but there were hardly any this year. Grasshoppers on the other hand were thick.
    What concerns me was that those were all mature birds not a juvenile in the bunch. Not a good sign for next season.
    "When I am not hunting I am thinking about hunting. Hunting is on my mind because it is in my blood."
    -- Jim Shockey

Nice job uplander! I figured you would find the blues as usual. I got lazy this year and shot doves from my chair. Funny because even the doves seemed to have a late hatch this year...some of them were tiny.
    Kiva

Guys, I am looking at taking the wife out for a hike this weekend from the Denver area, and was wondering if anyone could suggest anywhere to go that might possibly hold some grouse. I figure if I'm out hiking I may as well take the dog and gun and see what we can get into. Thanks for any advice!