Thread: Dog Only Retrieves Birds

Default Dog Only Retrieves Birds

This question was posed in a facebook group I'm part of. I've been very, VERY surprised by the answers. Here's my version of the question:
    Your bird dog (a hunter only - no competitions) retrieves birds to hand flawlessly 100% of the time.
    But he refuses to retrieve dummies, sticks, tennis balls, frisbees, or anything else on command.
    Are you OK with that? Why or why not?
    Remember, he retrieves (& will continue to retrieve) birds 100% of the time.
    Go!
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

I had a male Brittany that was like that. One of the best bird retrievers I ever had but he had no interest in dummies, balls or anything else. Heck, that was just fine with me. I had him as a bird dog, not as a dog to retrieve non-bird items.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Wouldn’t bother me a bit. His job is to bring back birds. Everything else is just for fun IMO.

More than OK, that's perfect. I don't need sticks, tennis balls, or socks... My last couple dogs have been great bird retrievers, but wouldn't chase a tennis ball more than 2 steps. Priorities.

I guess that eliminates water work.