Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Summer Scouting

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    22

    Default Summer Scouting

    My son and myself are flying to Kansas tomorrow for a long weekend of scouting WIHA for this fall. We normally hunt quail in NC Kansas, but this year we are going to go farther west hoping to find areas better suited for pheasant and quail. Hopefully all of the roads aren’t washed out. Do y’all think this rainy season will have a dramatic effect on the birds this fall? Either way we’re looking for a nice weekend in the great state of Kansas!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Posts
    2,010

    Default

    I don't know about the birds, but the mosquitos and frogs are doing great. You might need waders and/or a boat if you want to check certain fields around here. No joke, there is a lot of water. Portions of my little farm have been inaccessible since March. Between the rain coming down or the KS river coming up, my river bottom ground can't be reached by foot or vehicle. This is the Manhattan, KS area, and East of here.

    Hopefully you'll have luck finding birds and dry gound in western KS.

  3. #3

    Default

    Most roads are driveable. A few are washed out and I ran across a couple today that are flooded but not many. Remember you can not enter WIHA this time of year. Not til Sept. 1.
    Last edited by westksbowhunter; 07-11-2019 at 07:19 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wichita,KS.
    Posts
    1,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    Most roads are driveable. A few are washed out and I ran across a couple today that are flooded but not many. Remember you can not enter WIHA this time of year. Not til Sept. 1.
    You see any hens?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownDogsCan2 View Post
    You see any hens?
    Yep I am seeing hens but none with broods. The 3 counties here just got hammered with rain. It is different if you go west I am sure but here not good.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NE Oklahoma
    Posts
    346

    Default

    What about down in the Kiowa/Edwards and west to Dodge? How have they fared?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    22

    Default

    We’re not walking any ground just riding around to see what’s planted, etc.... One thing I can say is that eastern Kansas is extremely wet. We drove 36 west to Mankato and there’s everything from flooded fields, corners that have been under water and 2 corn fields that look like they got beat up with hail. Another thing is the farmers are working hard to get up the wheat, what do they normally plant behind wheat? We saw a few quail and a couple of roosters today, but the doves are everywhere!!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arringto View Post
    We’re not walking any ground just riding around to see what’s planted, etc.... One thing I can say is that eastern Kansas is extremely wet. We drove 36 west to Mankato and there’s everything from flooded fields, corners that have been under water and 2 corn fields that look like they got beat up with hail. Another thing is the farmers are working hard to get up the wheat, what do they normally plant behind wheat? We saw a few quail and a couple of roosters today, but the doves are everywhere!!
    Milo the next summer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Enjoy the rest of your scouting trip! Anxious to hear updates from you guys this weekend!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kansan View Post
    Enjoy the rest of your scouting trip! Anxious to hear updates from you guys this weekend!
    you are going to be a bit early to see broods and hatchlings, September would have been a better time to verify bird levels.......lots of cover where there isn't any standing water.
    milo/cover crops should be planted yet this summer, if they can get into their fields. at least you will get a general idea of planting and what to expect...CRP should be shoulder high this season!
    Last edited by hunter94; 07-12-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •