Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brood report

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default brood report

heard from a farmer that the broods he is seeing are large and the chicks are small at this point...smaller than a baseball...wet conditions may have delayed nesting this spring...

Quote Originally Posted by benelli-banger View Post
    heard from a farmer that the broods he is seeing are large and the chicks are small at this point...smaller than a baseball...wet conditions may have delayed nesting this spring...

Thanks for the report. Great to hear!

Weather reports I'm seeing in the area I hunt have looked warm and not too wet this month. Definitely could use a year with a nice big hatch.
    Chasing Roosters with a flushing dog on public land. As God intended.......

Good to hear BB. It will be interesting to see how things shake out. I’m guessing the nesting was delayed, hens were probably in rough shape though so perhaps we will see smaller brood sizes. If they did delay the weather has cooperated thus far but we still have a few months to go. Report from my area (Kimball) is that they are starting to see some nice broods. Fingers crossed

We saw our first hen with 2 chicks near Ethan on the pavement. Grass in the ditches is well over a foot tall already so unless the chicks are on the roads cant tell yet. We have seen a fair share of roosters tending all spring but the cold wet cycle we have had all spring may have hurt the early hatch

Drove from Portal ND to Chamberlain sd over the last few days. Spent some time off blacktops between Hoven and Ft Thompson. We did not see any hatches, but seen quite a few bords, for the time of day it was. There is thousands of acres of ground that didnt get planted, and it looked like plenty of Prevent Planting of oat cover crop also. Grass is very high everywhere, so nesting conditions should be good. I spent some time spraying thistles on my Chamberlain property, and did not see any nesting action going on there, but seen plenty of roosters on our road. I think nesting is still going on for the most part. Only seen one hen cross the road.

Am I the only one who smells something fishy in some these posts lately? I love this site. And am very thankful for some outstanding information people post on the site. People who take this site very seriously. Thank you to all who post real news. Critiquing a person posts isnt necessary. Or digging up old graves from 2 years ago. I dont post often. But my dad and I are thankful for real information. We love our trip together every year to south dakota. Thank you to everyone who supports a positive cause!

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    Am I the only one who smells something fishy in some these posts lately? I love this site. And am very thankful for some outstanding information people post on the site. People who take this site very seriously. Thank you to all who post real news. Critiquing a person posts isn't necessary. Or digging up old graves from 2 years ago. I don't post often. But my dad and I are thankful for real information. We love our trip together every year to south dakota. Thank you to everyone who supports a positive cause!
    summer time is always a bit boring...

My replys are just observations from someone who actually lives in South Dakota year round..
    Last edited by moedogee; 07-04-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moedogee View Post
    My replys are just observations from someone who actually lives in South Dakota year round.. If Hockey Bob is able to hunt on a farm here in South Dakota with those kinds of pheasant numbers he boosts about he is truly blessed. Does he live local and and is it his neighbor. If he is a nonresident does he pay something for the privilege? Because over the vast majority of South Dakota Conditions are tough.
    I am a non resident from Illinois. Hunting SD for about 15 years. I am blessed to hunt wild birds in SD. I also pay $150 per day for that privilege. I also understand why I pay that amount. The farmer has zero incentive to just leave fields untouched when he can turn a profit with corn or beans. Iím sure he still loses money but at least itís not a total zero loss for him.
    Iíve said plenty of times I wouldnít come out to SD if there was not many birds. I can see very few here in IL and not have to drive 12 hours.
    Coming out to SD each fall is one of my favorite times of year. I canít wait until late October.
    Bob