Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broods

I drove the roads Saturday evening and saw 4 hens. 2 were with roosters and 2 by themselves, no broods. Just under 6 inches of rain for June. They have been spread out and nice slow rains. Harvest has not started yet but if the rain holds off tomorrow I would think mid to late week it will start. Wheat that didn't get washed out looks good, but there are several flat fields and some still under water.

A friend who hunts Western KS said his farmer is seeing huge numbers while cutting wheat. Lots of broods and large broods.

Quote Originally Posted by Gettin Birdy View Post
    A friend who hunts Western KS said his farmer is seeing huge numbers while cutting wheat. Lots of broods and large broods.
    I am hearing similar reports from friends that farm out west. Best hatch in years according to those Iíve talked to. Things are also looking great here in SEK for quail. Iím seeing and hearing quail every day, everywhere I go. Sure gets a guy anxious for the fall!

Yes they are seeing lots of broods in the wheat. A good wheat harvest, and a late wheat harvest both bodes well for chick numbers. The wheat is also tall which is also good. I am going out later this week to set up some trail cams, and I will drive around scouting mornings and evenings.

Different reports here than further west. Talked to 2 farmers, one last night who was cutting his last field, and neither has seen a brood.

Hearing lots of quail around here. Doesn’t really mean much I suppose. Was East of Lincoln Nebraska last month at a hunt test and saw a few roosters and heard lots of quail calling and quail on the roads.

Saw my first pheasant chick today. I was walking in to pull the card on my trail camera and up he flew. Only one but at least I saw one. Talked to one farmer who said they never saw a single brood during harvest in Rush county.

Things are really looking good for the quail here in SEK. Iím seeing and hearing birds all over the place. Flushed a nice sized covey yesterday that had a whole bunch of little ones in it. I was up near Hiawatha last week doing some work on a goose pit that we have and was even hearing lots of quail up there.

Rode out with my son yesterday to pick up 2 bulls near my hunting ground. Saw several roosters and some hens and young ones. Also saw a lot of hail damage around my favorite area. Not going to say itís good or bad just saying I saw some birds.

Been doing some early scouting for doves. Iím seeing nice sized broods and quail everywhere. However lots of heavy cover but I think we should have a good season down here in the SW