Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uguide has an update on his website...

Default Uguide has an update on his website...

Uguide has an informative update on his website...weather, planting conditions, vegetation, crp updates...informative...

Can you provide a link to said website?

Quote Originally Posted by benelli-banger View Post
    Uguide has an informative update on his website...weather, planting conditions, vegetation, crp updates...informative...
    This year he likes moisture LOL

uguide.com

uguide sd pheasants . com
    Mike

As big a pain as a wet spring can be for various reasons, it can go a long way toward a successful nesting season. But...it would help even more if it'd just warm up a bit.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Admittedly, I know nothing about farming, but to me high grounds will get planted and low/wet ground cannot be planted right now, which in turn means it will go to grass/cover which can only be a good thing for the birds. Am I correct in my thinking, or way off?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike da Carpenter View Post
    Admittedly, I know nothing about farming, but to me high grounds will get planted and low/wet ground cannot be planted right now, which in turn means it will go to grass/cover which can only be a good thing for the birds. Am I correct in my thinking, or way off?
    very little ground has been planted yet...very, very little...low or high ground. The problem is that crop insurance becomes void if crops are planted after a certain date, and in one of the counties I hunt, that date is coming up soon...5/25...then 5/31 in the other county. Beans are the next crop that gets planted after corn...prices suck...the idea of them taking their "prevent plant" crop insurance isn't such a bad thought, though it is barely a break even deal. Most of the farmers I know have not planted a single seed yet...very unusual...none of them have really ever seen this situation...wet out there this week again....

the daily republic has an article yesterday about this...it said 19% of the statewide corn crop has been planted vs. the 5 year average at this of 76%...where I hunt, which is to say most of S central and SE SD, virtually no corn has been planted...there is probably an area of the state that has been a bit drier that has gotten planted, such as W or NW SD...just a guess

extreme N Central SD looks OK, but it is a small area...like one county. S central from Pierre South through Chamberlain down to the border looks good...probably 4-8 counties...then, NW SD looks OK, but that isn't all pheasant country, but some of it is...but, the main corn belt of E SD has been really, really wet...