Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: crops aren't getting planted

Sounds like most of the wheat got planted from the guys Ive talked to. Some
    Corn in but not much. One guy though that farms about 12K acres has half his corn done and thought would be back at it later this week. Guessing it will be very area specific as to what gets planted and what doesn’t. Time will tell.

Planting isn't going well in the Pierre area. Spring wheat acres are way down because of spring conditions. I know a few guys that for the first time ever did not plant any spring wheat. Corn acres are way down as well. Just got another 2-3 inches of rain over the last 48 hrs. At the earliest guys will be back in field next week but the forecast isn't looking good. We typically do not grow a lot of soybeans out here so I'm guessing sunflowers and milo acres will be way up and lots of acres will be summer fallowed with tons of winter wheat planted this fall. Conditions suck for nesting birds right now to wet and cold. Grass conditions are looking great though. We need sun and warm weather soon.

Father in-law farms in SE SD and he has planted less then 80 acres of corn and likely will give up on corn and switch to beans within the next 5 days. He generally has 2-3k of corn.

spoke to a farmer for 45 minutes today that farms about 3500-4000 acres...not going to go into detail, but it is probable that you will never have seen, nor will you ever see again in your life, the state of the farm fields that you will see this fall if you go to SD...much of the state is in this condition...wet. I really don't know how the hens can be nesting...seriously. Don't want to sound dramatic, but it could be a really tough season. However, with no standing crops--for sure no corn, at least in my areas--the birds will have no place to hide, so wherever there is cover there will be some birds, albeit carryover from last year? Who knows...I will probably go out there soon...

elevators and ethanol plants are going to be very challenged...

Quote Originally Posted by benelli-banger View Post
    spoke to a farmer for 45 minutes today that farms about 3500-4000 acres...not going to go into detail, but it is probable that you will never have seen, nor will you ever see again in your life, the state of the farm fields that you will see this fall if you go to SD...much of the state is in this condition...wet. I really don't know how the hens can be nesting...seriously. Don't want to sound dramatic, but it could be a really tough season. However, with no standing crops--for sure no corn, at least in my areas--the birds will have no place to hide, so wherever there is cover there will be some birds, albeit carryover from last year? Who knows...I will probably go out there soon...
    What part of the state was this from?

It's not just South Dakota. Spending time with in-laws in SE MO. They are really sweating it and much of the mid west is in the same shape. Nephews wife's family farms 8000 acres in ILL and they are in bad shape as well. It's shaping up to be really bad. Irrigated can go in late but the rest is too much of a gamble. West of MO is just as bad. Terrible year all over and more on the way.

I have driven around the countryside in the Watertown area and what you see is difficult to believe. The fields are absolutely saturated. Water standing every where. If we had dry and sunny weather for the next two weeks I don't know if they could get into the fields. Unfortunately the forecast is for rain and thunder storms 5 out of the next 7 days. I talked to my neighbor who farms between Watertown and Clark. He said he may just leave his fields black this year. This certainly does not bode well for the pheasants. I'm assuming some pheasants have started to nest and with all the wet weather that's not going to help the hatch.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

most of the corn belt is in this condition in SD...this area is between mitchell and huron, but most areas that grow good corn yields are this way. farmer suicides will be garnering much attention, they already are....

I read yesterday about $16 billion farm aide because of the tariff fight with China. Might be a saving grace for some that arenít able to get anything in. Praying for the best for all involved.
    Last edited by Mike da Carpenter; 05-25-2019 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike da Carpenter View Post
    I read yesterday about multi billion $ farm aide because of the tariff fight with China. Might be a saving grace for some that aren’t able to get anything in. Praying for the best for all involved.
    think the aide last year for soybeans that were impacted due to tariff issues required a harvested crop...standing beans didn't even count...no crop won't count I believe...because a tariff doesn't hurt a black dirt field...my thoughts...hope I am wrong