Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: crops aren't getting planted

Quote Originally Posted by benelli-banger View Post
    think the aide last year for soybeans that were impacted due to tariff issues required a harvested crop...standing beans didn't even count...no crop won't count I believe...because a tariff doesn't hurt a black dirt field...my thoughts...hope I am wrong
    SD to Texas.... thru Nebraska and Kansas......western Iowa is a train wreck too. not all of it, but the huge majority is a lost for most any row crop planned for this year. for bird hunting i am going for release and shoot closer to home, with a young dog it is only fair to get him some experience, even with pen raised birds. tromping through mud caked, bare fields is a waste of time........adjustments have to be made, as many pay to hunt preserves will reap the benefits.......i am just glad they are a viable option....no regrets.
    Last edited by hunter94; 05-26-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Where we hunt in SD 2013 was by far the worst year I've experienced. 11 inches of rain in April. Week long trip with five guys only 7 birds. We generally average that or more a day. I tried to switch it up and plan a ND trip boom the drought is on. This year trying to plan a trip to Kansas and rain rain rain. Although I've been chasing pheasants on and off for 40 years it seems like year after year these days it's doom and gloom. Thinking about trading in my shotguns for my bow. The deer population is through the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrdoglvr View Post
    Where we hunt in SD 2013 was by far the worst year I've experienced. 11 inches of rain in April. Week long trip with five guys only 7 birds. We generally average that or more a day. I tried to switch it up and plan a ND trip boom the drought is on. This year trying to plan a trip to Kansas and rain rain rain. Although I've been chasing pheasants on and off for 40 years it seems like year after year these days it's doom and gloom. Thinking about trading in my shotguns for my bow. The deer population is through the roof.
    If it warms up, it should be a great nesting season. It's when it's wet & cold that nests/broods have a tough time.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

I hope there have been sufficient places to lay eggs that aren't wet...

oh boy.......looks like SD is getting hammered again today. many counties are recommending no travel on gravel roads after dark.....high water everywhere.
    hope it is not as bad as it sounds.

Unfortunately it is. I've driven to Philip and back to Sioux Falls the beginning of the month. A guy I deer hunt with is 83 and he said he's seeing water in places he's never seen it before. Also drove to Chamberlain and back last weekend. Have friends and family scattered across eastern SD. Every single one of them I've talked to report the same thing that you all are hearing. Not many crops getting planted. I worry that there will be no place for the pheasants to nest. Black mud fields or slough and grass that is full of water.

It will for sure be the first time in 27 seasons that I will see no standing corn in the counties i hunt...sure, they may be a few acres planted...but basically, no corn planted...nor will there be...

I don't think that'll be a problem. Yes, the wetness is widespread & severe in places, but I think it's been wet for so long that the birds would've been forced to nest on higher ground to begin with. They need warmth now.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Talked to my friend/farmer/lodge owner near Winner actually Hamill—
    Said if rain will ease up a bit he will be ok in that area-still time to get corn in and then beans
    Pheasant cover and food plots don’t go in until until mid/late June
    Plenty of cover left over for nesting
    Will be going thru that area and on through Sioux Falls and up the eastern part of state to Fargo before heading east to home on Tuesday and Wednesday to have a look—

Any updates?

Also, what happens if the deadlines for crop insurance aren’t met? Is there other crops that can get planted in late June/early July and still be a viable option for the farmers?

Do they just not till the ground until next spring and let it go to whatever grasses pop up? I know there would be zero income, or is there insurance available to cover that (if bought early enough I’m guessing). From what I’m gathering, this is all uncharted waters, as these types of conditions have not been seen before in this magnitude.
    Last edited by Mike da Carpenter; 05-30-2019 at 02:19 PM.