Thread: Model 12 shotgun and Older guns in general value

Default Model 12 shotgun and Older guns in general value

I watched an estate sale of a good friend who loved and collected Model 12s last weekend..... It seemed to me the market has shifted on older guns in " USING " condition...
    I saw model 12 , 12 gauges in good, but NOT NICE condition sell for 150.00 at auction. Like new Heavy duck ( I know you cant use it), 12 gauge , brought only 300.00.
    I purchased a reblued 12 GAUGE, model 12 , IMP CYL 26 in. barreled , In as restored condition for 400.00.
    HE did have some really rare guns, that did bring I think, reasonable return for the family.

I am a accumulator, not a collector, so I am NOT really knowledgeable in markets, or shifts. That said it seems to me in the last 10 years or so, many revered guns of the last century , have fallen unless, they are LIKE NEW, or a High Grade configuration.
    Thoughts???

I don't necessarily think that is the case across the board, but I do think the Model 12's have lost value in recent years.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

I've been researching used A5's, 20 ga, 26"Bl for the last 8-10 months and finally found one on line and bought it sight unseen.
    Was elated at the condition of the gun...hardly been shot.

There are several web sites that sell guns on the web and they sell "revered" guns. The old Browning's have held their value, both Sweet 16's and the 20 ga. guns. New in the box and restored A5 Browning 20ga can bring $5000! At least that's what they are asking on line...

Can't speak to other used shotguns, I only researched the A5's and basically the 20 ga. The 12's aren't as valuable, at least on line.
    Last edited by jonnyB; 05-19-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Why can one not use a like new Model 12 Heavy Duck?

I do think that what is going on is that we have instilled in our society the attitude that "new" is good and "used" is bad. Capitalists in a consumer economy need this in the masses.

Those used and usable Model 12s, Auto-5s, etc will still be shooting long after many of these new, Turkish shotguns have been recycled as the beer cans that they were made from.

I would much rather see a new shooter purchase a used classic shotgun than waste their money on a new gun with poorly heat treated critical parts.

Issue with model 12 pre 64 heavy duck. You could use lead but not steel as it is full choke. Winchester added lead to the gun to help shooting swinging birds . Therefore it could be a exercise inducing field gun . It could be used at trap I would suppose as well!

I shoot a 1933 12 gauge Model 12 Winchester for ducks and geese with steel shot. It is one of my best patterning guns and its performance on game is outstanding.

The barrel was originally a full choke at 0.695" I reamed it to a light modified at 0.715".

Any knowledgeable gunsmith can do this for about $50 or so.

That Model 12 Heavy Duck at $300 was a deal.
    Last edited by John Singer; 05-19-2019 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Error

I think part of it is technological advances. For instance, I have an old Model 12 Featherweight. I have two barrels for it, IC and Mod. With the switch to interchangeable chokes, there's no longer a need to have two barrels. Heck, you can have three or five "barrels" in your pocket sized choke pouch.

New softer shooting shotguns with techie recoil attenuation. New finishes that take more abuse than the old blue. New camo finishes. Semi autos that can handle anything from light trap loads to 3 1/2" heavy goose loads.

I'm an "accumulator" too. I have older pre-techie shotguns and they work just fine. I also have one or two of the newer tech shotguns. IMO, many of the old school guns are real bargains and many of the newer ones are seriously overpriced.