Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First trip to SD, need advice

Default First trip to SD, need advice

I have just booked my first trip to Chamberlin, SD for the days following Thanksgiving 2019. Ive never hunted pheasant, but have many quail hunts under my belt here in TX. Im curious about the weather conditions that time of year and how to 'gear up' appropriately. Obviously weather is always a wild card, but a generalization will do. Any direction for gear/clothing that will be appropriate for the time of year is welcomed and appreciated.
    Thanks

Andy, just be prepared. Two years ago I hunted that time period, warm and very windy. Last year wind chills below zero. I will be in Chamberlain the first of November. Where you staying at? Have fun South Dakota is blast to hunt!!

I was up there at that time a few years back. The first day when I left to hunt is was -5. A couple days later it was in the low 40's. You'll love it up in SD. It's a great place!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Andy, just be prepared. Two years ago I hunted that time period, warm and very windy. Last year wind chills below zero. I will be in Chamberlain the first of November. Where you staying at? Have fun South Dakota is blast to hunt!!
    We are staying/hunting thru Rooster Ridge. I had an opportunity to purchase the trip at a live auction and am excited to try something new and different! This will be each member in my groups first pheasant hunt and I can already see us getting addicted...

Rooster Ridge has some good advice regarding gear when planning your hunt. As others have said, the weather in SD that time of year can vary greatly. Be prepared for all weather conditions. Dress in layers. Chaps or brush pants are a good idea as well as good boots. Be sure to wear an orange vest and cap.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

We hunt the first week/weekend in Nov and have had temps from the mid teens with howling winds to the mid 40's. As mentioned, be prepared with layers and I find I need to focus more on head/hand comfort than anything else. If you're a "driver" you'll work up a sweat no matter what the temps. If a "blocker" you'll be expending less energy and I find I get much colder than when I walk through or "drive" the fields.

We hunt Thanksgiving week ever year. It’s like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. But usually you are able to walk on water.

Near where I guide —

What everyone above has said—could be in high 40’s to well below zero—
    Layers—the last thing you want to do is walk first working up a sweat —then trying to block-
    Several types of gloves—hand warmer packets—I always have some to hand out but bring your own in case your guide is not as good
    Face masks-balaclavia(sp) several weights from silk to heavy wool
    Several pairs of boots- insulated including one pair of—Muck type for mud
    Sure others will add other things-just what I insist on having myself

All of this is great intel! Thanks gents! One more question- what would be your typical layering formula to not be too hot/cold for lets say: 30-40, 10-30, below 10? If those breakdowns are off please correct- i am a sponge soaking up all the information i can get, ha.

Quote Originally Posted by andyd View Post
    All of this is great intel! Thanks gents! One more question- what would be your typical layering formula to not be too hot/cold for lets say: 30-40, 10-30, below 10? If those breakdowns are off please correct- i am a sponge soaking up all the information i can get, ha.
    30-40: Pants and t-shirt if wind is light. Light hoodie if wind is blowing.

10-30: light long johns, pants, midweight long sleeve shirt and hoodie.

Below 10: fleece lined long johns, pants, midweight long sleeve shirt, hoodie, wind resistant jacket.

If itís sunny and no wind Iíve worn just a hoodie down to around 0. If you are walking through cover you will be surprised how warm you can stay. The hardest part is figuring out how to keep your hands and face warm.