Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Story Time

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit View Post
    Road hunted in college with a few friends, we only shot one bird, but it was as good as dead. Headed back into town (Brookings) with the one rooster in the back of the truck under the tonneau cover. Opened up the tailgate in town, and out flies a rooster as alive as could be.
    So...did he fly....away??

As another Jackrabbit, my dead bird/muzzle loader story above was also near Bkgs. Barely south of Lake Campbell on the road that used to go by the old roller rink.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    So...did he fly....away??

As another Jackrabbit, my dead bird/muzzle loader story above was also near Bkgs. Barely south of Lake Campbell on the road that used to go by the old roller rink.
    Yep, just flew away. Flew above the street for about a block then turned and was over some houses and out of sight. It was just like opening up a cage and releasing a bird back to the great outdoors. I didn't shoot the bird, nor ever handle it. But I do remember it being "completely dead" and my friend even ringing it's neck when he picked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit View Post
    Yep, just flew away. Flew above the street for about a block then turned and was over some houses and out of sight. It was just like opening up a cage and releasing a bird back to the great outdoors. I didn't shoot the bird, nor ever handle it. But I do remember it being "completely dead" and my friend even ringing it's neck when he picked it up.
    That's really funny. I'll bet you guys about died. I've heard a lot of stories about birds people were sure were dead coming back to life, but never one flying away from home before. If there's one thing I've learned is that Brookings, Lake & Moody Counties grow some very resilient roosters.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

A few years ago I was hunting in SD with some buddies. Me and my dad had just finished hunting a small slough and the other 3 guys we were with had just finished walking a corn strip. The wind was howling 30 mph. The 3 guys at the end of the corn strip were standing around talking and a big ole rooster got up right between them all. All 3 guys emptied their guns and never pulled a feather. The rooster was crossing at about 50 yards at an extreme high rate of speed. I looked over at my dad and he said take a crack at it. I pulled up and led that bird a good thirty feet, pulled the trigger and it folded hard. It continued to sail at a high rate of speed right into the rear view mirror of my truck, and broke my drivers side mirror into a thousand pieces. Everyone was laughing their asses off. I’ll never forget the look on my dad’s face. That wound up being our last time hunting together he died the following spring.

Quote Originally Posted by ehudgens View Post
    A few years ago I was hunting in SD with some buddies. Me and my dad had just finished hunting a small slough and the other 3 guys we were with had just finished walking a corn strip. The wind was howling 30 mph. The 3 guys at the end of the corn strip were standing around talking and a big ole rooster got up right between them all. All 3 guys emptied their guns and never pulled a feather. The rooster was crossing at about 50 yards at an extreme high rate of speed. I looked over at my dad and he said take a crack at it. I pulled up and led that bird a good thirty feet, pulled the trigger and it folded hard. It continued to sail at a high rate of speed right into the rear view mirror of my truck, and broke my drivers side mirror into a thousand pieces. Everyone was laughing their asses off. I’ll never forget the look on my dad’s face. That wound up being our last time hunting together he died the following spring.
    Awesome! I'll bet, for several different reasons, that's one of the most vivid memories you have, period. And it'll stick with you until the end. So great.

It sure was I feel sorry for people homeless don’t get to experience the outdoors!

I believe that actually happened!!!!! r.B

TOOOOOOOO true

Road hunting in Iowa with my dad and younger brother (we were about 7and 8 then). Well my dad shoots 2 roosters that land about 50 yards out in a cornfield so my brother and I run out and each grab one. Upon our return, he just plops the bird down on the road which must have been enough to revive it, it runs under the truck and flies out the other side. We just looked at each other in stunned silence. Needless to say my brother was in trouble for that. Dave

I got 1 more another Iowa story. A little background, although our hunting party was between 4 - 8 guys I rarely hunted with G. He hunts at 2 mph and I'm at 5mph on a slow day. He hunts with labs I've got springers, his wife trains his dogs (meaning he has no idea on how they will respond), I train mine (and I have some idea as to what to expect). Well this particular year he brought a dog that had never hunted, 3/4 irish setter 1/4 greyhound, that dog enjoyed a good run. Whether we were in an 80 acre field or a 2 mile section we always knew where G was "Rusty get back here" was a way more common sound than cackling roosters. Well 1 day G and I teamed up, Rusty got birdy as hell in front of us and took off in a straight line dead ahead of us, about 100 yds out he turned back and was heading back to us. As he got closer G took off his hat to discipline the dog (Rusty at this point was about 20 yds out) and said "God dang it Rusty get your ass back here" The next sequence happened a microsecond after G yelled and only took 1.78 seconds to complete. A rooster flushed at Rusty's nose, G dropped his hat, raised his gun, killed the bird and said "good boy"