Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter and Bird Survival

I exchanged text messages with a friend of mine near Aberdeen. Here is what he said.

“I live near Aberdeen, but its similar statewide in pheasant range. After the blizzard of 3/14, its total devastation of pheasant populations. Nearly all cover blown in with hard packed snow from 60mph winds, everything ice covered, no exposed fields to feed in. Worst winter since 1997. It will take years for pheasants to recover from this.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybob View Post
    I exchanged text messages with a friend of mine near Aberdeen. Here is what he said.

“I live near Aberdeen, but its similar statewide in pheasant range. After the blizzard of 3/14, its total devastation of pheasant populations. Nearly all cover blown in with hard packed snow from 60mph winds, everything ice covered, no exposed fields to feed in. Worst winter since 1997. It will take years for pheasants to recover from this.”
    That exact response was already given on this thread...your buddy must be a user of this forum. Tough to hear...that is tragic...we will keep our fingers crossed.

places where things held up just right (cover and feed) will have a few birds....just sounds horrible.
    would also guess spring planting will be late due to water logged ground, followed by a late harvest in the fall.....not setting up well.

Couple of things to remember about the winter of 96-97. One it started earlier, I can remember being stuck in a motel room with roads closed in early November. However that was back when there was much more CRP and we started with many times more birds than we started this winter with. But I still remember the fall of 97 being as bleak as one can imagine. Perhaps a good hatch will pull us through somewhat, but it maybe a time to consider waterfowl hunting again. The potholes should be full.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybob View Post

Getting the same exact message from my friends in North Central. It's very tough for wildlife. Even the deer herds are being thinned. Drifts so solid you can drive a 4WD tractor over them. I think it will be years.

I just made a road trip to Wessington Springs to Pierre and back home. I saw live pheasants, mostly roosters.

Quote Originally Posted by haymaker View Post
    I just made a road trip to Wessington Springs to Pierre and back home. I saw live pheasants, mostly roosters.
    Not good in South Central SD either----- I had between 45 and 55 birds feeding mornings and evenings in the bean field right up to the storm and now I've seen two roosters in 3 days.
    We had 2.30 inches of rain over the first two days an then 4 inches wind driven snow and now most areas have new lakes instead of crops and bird cover. It's sad but it happens but they seem to recover given time.
    Pheasants Forever Life Member

I fear my info may have been a bit incomplete or premature...hope I am wrong!

Been hunting the Aberdeen area for 14 years. A few years, I never fired my gun but I keep coming back. This year will be no different. I always hope for the best.
    Pray the farmers will get through this tough time.

talked to another farmer today...he didn't seem too concerned, and he is a hunter himself, and has some very nice habitat on multiple properties...hope these guys are right!