Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter and Bird Survival

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Winter and Bird Survival

from what i can tell by the DOT cams, it looks like a heavy snow cover and cold temps in SD.
    how are the birds handling this prolonged stretch of snow cover?

I just left my cabin at Chamberlain. Most snow in ten or more years. With that said. The flock on our road is still healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog View Post
    I just left my cabin at Chamberlain. Most snow in ten or more years. With that said. The flock on our road is still healthy.
    20190227_114308.jpg
    Fishing was decent

When you have this much snow, and prolonged extreme cold, the mortality rate is usually pretty high.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    When you have this much snow, and prolonged extreme cold, the mortality rate is usually pretty high.
    Definitely not the best beginning for a hoped for improvement in the bird crop next Fall.

Mpls Star tribune Outdoors section today had article about pheasants in SW Mn and that they are holding up well...Marshall, Worthington, Lac Qu Parle (spelling!)...I think those areas have had more snow and just as much cold as many parts of SD...the birds had easy picking into January, which isn't always the case when bad winters hurt the wildlife...doesn't mean it won't get worse, just isn't that dire at this point...I talk to a few farmers weekly, and one today told me about all the birds he sees anytime he is near cattails...go figure....

Default Winter Survival

Quote Originally Posted by hunter94 View Post
    from what i can tell by the DOT cams, it looks like a heavy snow cover and cold temps in SD.
    how are the birds handling this prolonged stretch of snow cover?
    I live near Aberdeen, but its similar statewide in pheasant range. After the blizzard of 3/14, its total devastation of pheasant populations. Nearly all cover blown in with hard packed snow from 60mph winds, everything ice covered, no exposed fields to feed in. Worst winter since 1997. It will take years for pheasants to recover from this.

Sounds pretty dire...too bad....ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by PheasantSlough View Post
    I live near Aberdeen, but its similar statewide in pheasant range. After the blizzard of 3/14, its total devastation of pheasant populations. Nearly all cover blown in with hard packed snow from 60mph winds, everything ice covered, no exposed fields to feed in. Worst winter since 1997. It will take years for pheasants to recover from this.
    I live west of Aberdeen 35 miles, no ice but a tough go. I will wait and see, they are smart and resourceful birds. There are trees and silage piles, the ones around here have been feeding with my cows. It is not good but there are survivors.

Anyone know how bad the weather has been West river, around Timberlake and Firesteel, Dewy county? How about East river, Redfield, Spink county?
    Last edited by 870-Lefty; 03-17-2019 at 10:02 AM.