Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to live?

Default Where to live?

As I retire, I would like to move to South Dakota for the huntin and fishing opportunities. Upland hunting would top the list followed by deer hunting, fishing (mostly for Walleye), and waterfowl. I would like to stay south of I90 for the warmer weather. So looking for sugestion on where to buy a home? Is there any benefits to being west river or east river? Thanks for your inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by j2ohno View Post
    As I retire, I would like to move to South Dakota for the huntin and fishing opportunities. Upland hunting would top the list followed by deer hunting, fishing (mostly for Walleye), and waterfowl. I would like to stay south of I90 for the warmer weather. So looking for sugestion on where to buy a home? Is there any benefits to being west river or east river? Thanks for your inputs.
    Interesting question.

Of the sports mentioned, fishing has the longest season. One could drive to the other sport activities.

And, what would your home budget look like? I'm fairly familiar with the Mobridge area; great fishing opportunities and low-cost housing. Check with Zillow for current listings. Sister -in-law lives there now.

Let us know what you decide. Good luck!

It sounds like the Chamberlin area would fit you. Either side of the river is close and your in the warmer part of the state.

Budget to about $300K. Is there any benefit as far as Deer season go to being on the west or east side of the river?

Spent some time just across the river and south of Mobridge this Fall and absolutely loved the river beauty and the hunting opportunities. Didn't get to fish but wow talk about rugged beautiful country. SDviking

Default David0311

After many years hunting and guiding in most of the state—
    If it wasn’t for the grand kids and wife
    Would either live in Chamberlain-or-Pierre area-
    Great hunting -fishing-and everything you or at least I need
    A house over looking the river from the bluffs would be mandatory
    And no state income tax? JMO

As far as deer hunting it wouldn't matter if you lived east or west river. Chamberlain would be a great fit. Fish are always biting somewhere around there. Not to mention smack dab in some great pheasant hunting areas

image.jpegChamberlain has it all, plus it's easy traveling to Sioux Falls, Rapid City and Pierre for shopping. I've had 7 acres and a cabin there since 2000. I cannot get the wife to retire that far west, so we are going to retire in Garretson. We are building a shop now and bought an acreage but have to sell my Okoboji acreage before we make the residency changes. I'm ok with Garretson, as its 15 minutes from my daughter and grand daughter, and I have a network of hunting ops already in place from 19 years of hunting and fishing in the state. You really cannot chose a bad location, but if the weather is a factor, stay away from anything north of 90 and particularly anything along the Buffalo Ridge in northeastern SD. Cost of living, and no state income tax are primary reasons for relocating for us. I'm not on the Bluffs at Chamberlain. I just say I'm in the cheap seats!
    Last edited by reddog; 02-21-2019 at 11:30 PM.

Still a pretty great view.

I really enjoy the Yankton area. Plenty of good restaurants and shopping. Good sized hospital and a college. Fishing I hear is good. Lots of public land for pheasant and waterfowl.