Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good old fashioned dog brag

Default Good old fashioned dog brag

Last weekend my young dog Ty was awarded NAHRA’s “2018 High Point Upland Dog”.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gatzby; 02-20-2019 at 08:40 PM.
    "We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Man that's awesome to see all your hard work pay off. Congrats.

Congrats, that's awesome!

Wow!! Good dog, Ty!!! Congratulations!
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Congratulations—Well done—

Quote Originally Posted by david0311 View Post
    Congratulations—Well done—
    You must be very proud...great accomplishment! Can you tell us about the award - what's required, competition et al.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyB View Post
    You must be very proud...great accomplishment! Can you tell us about the award - what's required, competition et al.

Thanks!
    Thank You!

NAHRA upland tests requires
    2 upland hunts (quartering) with steady to flush and shot. Bird must be delivered to hand, marking is also judged. (Rooster pheasants out of a box launcher)
    2 blind retrieves. Blinds are relatively simple compared to a Master blind but are judged tough.
    A trailing test, pretty damn fun!
    A hunt em up test. A dead bird is planted and the handler can only direct the dog to the general area than the dog needs to hunt the bird up. (pretty easy)
    Different point values are awarded for each skill tested, a minimum average is required to pass. A total of four passing tests earns you a title, the dog with the highest number of points for the year gets the cool shirt and plaque. Tests take place all over the country but are most popular on the east cost. Ty and I only ran 3 tests but scored nearly perfect. There is a test in oscaloosa IA in 2 weeks, we may run down there to finish his title. All the tests we ran in 2018 were within 1 1/2 hours of Minneapolis. I hope I explained it in a decent fashion. Its a fun thing to do in the winter.
    Ty just turned 3 has his AKC Master Hunter, HRC Finished, earned AKC Derby and Qualifying placements. Most importantly he is an incredible meat dog!
    Last edited by Gatzby; 02-21-2019 at 04:22 PM.
    "We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam

Quote Originally Posted by Gatzby View Post
    Thank You!

NAHRA upland tests requires
    2 upland hunts (quartering) with steady to flush and shot. Bird must be delivered to hand, marking is also judged. (Rooster pheasants out of a box launcher)
    2 blind retrieves. Blinds are relatively simple compared to a Master blind but are judged tough.
    A trailing test, pretty damn fun!
    A hunt em up test. A dead bird is planted and the handler can only direct the dog to the general area than the dog needs to hunt the bird up. (pretty easy)
    Different point values are awarded for each skill tested a minimum average is required to pass. A total of four passing tests earns you a title, the dog with the highest number of points for the year gets the cool shirt and plaque. Tests take place all over the country but are most popular on the east cost. Ty and I only ran 3 tests but scored nearly perfect. There is a test in oscaloosa IA in 2 weeks, we may run down there to finish his title. All the tests we ran in 2018 were within 1 1/2 hours of Minneapolis. I hope I explained it in a decent fashion. Its a fun thing to do in the winter.
    Ty just turned 3 has his AKC Master Hunter, HRC Finished, earned AKC Derby and Qualifying placements. Most importantly he is an incredible meat dog!
    Interesting - thanks for the summary - looks tough! I know one Golden that would flunk the "steady to flush and shot" part of the test. He's usually waiting for the bird to land...

Congrats to you and Ty. Sounds like a great event to show off his training.

Nice! Way to go.