Thread: apologies/thanks from someone born in the wrong time/place

Default apologies/thanks from someone born in the wrong time/place

Many of you have hunted and trained great bird dogs. I have not. I have enjoyed this forum for what I have learned and more from what I have lived through by reading these posts. I am a lifelong lover of the outdoors, but was not introduced to any semblance of upland hunting until middle age. My first hunting trip on wild birds, I cannot describe the emotion I was moved to watching my buddies bird dog chasing pheasasnts in a field of tall grass. Words would not do justice to the desire Brandi the Brittany dog placed on hunting up a rooster for us. I have never been the same since. Another dear friend has a field bred golden retriever, and I had the good blessing of duck hunting with her this fall. It was special to see her swim out on a double and grab one ring bill, bring it back and then go immediately back to grab the second one I shot on a retrieve. This was back in November. Last week I babysat her, and took her to the game farm sunday morning. We bought 6 birds and she sniffed out every single one. I made a very long (and lucky on my part) shot on a rooster and she brought him back right away. She brought every bird back very quickly. I know for any lifelong trainer this isn't a big deal. To a guy like me, who has never owned a dog of his own, this was better than my wildest dreams. To see a dog work the field, scenting birds, flushing them up, and then so happy on the retrieve, well, I guess you all know how good that feels. Even better was how happy she was to snuggle with me, give me kisses, and just all around be a happy and pleasing dog. Thank you all for your participation in this forum. I have loved all the labs, GSPs, Britts, Goldens,Wirehairds, Viszlas, WPGs, Brach Francais, Cockers, and any other bird dogs I have had the pleasure to meet in my time. Thanks so much for all you have shared. I only wish I could have returned the favor in kind. If I only know one thing in life, there is nothing like a good bird dog. I only hope I can do the honor to own one some day, and do him/her proud.

Bob, we need more guys like you in the sport! That is what it is all about. We banter all the time about breed of dog, sex of the dog, the right shell, the right gun, the right gauge in the gun, the right state to hunt, the right truck to drive, the right vest to wear, wild or pen raised birds... You name we banter about it. But, in the end it is about a dog, a bird, a shot, a retrieve, and maybe a picture to remember the memory! It sounds like those pictures are etched in your memory. Keep sharing your story and raising awareness, we need more guys like you in the field.

Bob...what goldenboy said. Also, if you get such a kick out of watching somebody ELSE's dog work (which IS fun), just think if was your OWN! It's that much times 10! Based on what you wrote, I have little doubt that you'll have a buddy of your own when the time is right & that yes, you'll do him/her VERY proud. There's nothing like it.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    Bob...what goldenboy said. Also, if you get such a kick out of watching somebody ELSE's dog work (which IS fun), just think if was your OWN! It's that much times 10! Based on what you wrote, I have little doubt that you'll have a buddy of your own when the time is right & that yes, you'll do him/her VERY proud. There's nothing like it.
    X2! both these gentlemen nailed it on the head-Couldn't have been said any better! It sounds like you got some good buddies-dogs and their human counterparts too! I will say for me it's about the camaraderie of people and dogs you meet along the way, whether you've known them your whole life or not.

My partner is a dog and without him the hunt would be so much less fulfilling. I like to think they get as much joy out of it as I do. Judging from the tail wags and slurrpy kisses I think they do.