Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goldens vs. Labs

I appreciate everyone’s insight & thoughts on the subject. I’ve only ever owned & hunted labs. Mainly upland. That’s my passion. My last buddy passed away a couple years ago & ive been out of the game since then. I’m ready again. The reason I’m considering a Golden is that a friend of mine breeds Golden’s & runs them in hunt tests & they’re beautiful animals. He won’t have another litter for a year or so I’ve been doing some research. Ready to try a different breed. Really looking forward to my new pup!

Quote Originally Posted by JDR View Post
    I appreciate everyone’s insight & thoughts on the subject. I’ve only ever owned & hunted labs. Mainly upland. That’s my passion. My last buddy passed away a couple years ago & ive been out of the game since then. I’m ready again. The reason I’m considering a Golden is that a friend of mine breeds Golden’s & runs them in hunt tests & they’re beautiful animals. He won’t have another litter for a year or so I’ve been doing some research. Ready to try a different breed. Really looking forward to my new pup!
    Where are you located? State? Perhaps some of us can help with your search...

I live in South central Indiana. I’m trying to avoid traveling across country & shipping. I found a breeder a few hours away from me & have talked to a few guys that know his kennel & have hunted behind his dogs & he’s gotten high praise from them. Think I might go with him but I’m open to suggestions

I live in South central Indiana. I’m trying to avoid traveling across country & shipping. I found a breeder a few hours away from me & have talked to a few guys that know his kennel & have hunted behind his dogs & he’s gotten high praise from them. Think I might go with him but I’m open to suggestions
    Have you looked at the "Top Brass" line of Golden's? Their line of dogs have been included/used by several breeders in the Midwest. Jackie Mertens has been breeding field Golden's for a long time. She is located in the Chicago area which might be a bit of a hike for you...

Good luck in youir search.

I will add one tidbit, I had a friend who raised HUNTING goldens, and they mature to be light framed , very athletic dogs... He has passed, and his lineage lost. They were GREAT dogs.... I am a Lab guy, and would have be very happy with such well bred dogs
    in Dual breedings you may end up with a MORE STOCKY specimen, which may hunt, and hunt hard, but in the end, can have have issues , with hips, and or Back,due to Carrying a large frame around in Upland situations.... I have seen in the field , and at hunt tests, Dual dogs perform well...
    But you may not get the Lifespan of a dog, you could out of field breeding...

I live in South central Indiana. Im trying to avoid traveling across country & shipping. I found a breeder a few hours away from me & have talked to a few guys that know his kennel & have hunted behind his dogs & hes gotten high praise from them. Think I might go with him but Im open to suggestions

I would not let traveling deter you in buying a puppy. Worst mistake you can make in buying a dog is doing what is convenient. It is a 12 year investment, buy the best you can.

Quote Originally Posted by dustin mudd View Post
    I will add one tidbit, I had a friend who raised HUNTING goldens, and they mature to be light framed , very athletic dogs... He has passed, and his lineage lost. They were GREAT dogs.... I am a Lab guy, and would have be very happy with such well bred dogs
    in Dual breedings you may end up with a MORE STOCKY specimen, which may hunt, and hunt hard, but in the end, can have have issues , with hips, and or Back,due to Carrying a large frame around in Upland situations.... I have seen in the field , and at hunt tests, Dual dogs perform well...
    But you may not get the Lifespan of a dog, you could out of field breeding...
    Dogs that break down have nothing to do with frame size, but more a weight and conditioning issue. My 91 lb male is 11 years old and can still out hunt my 5 year old athletic 55 lb female.

I have briefly looked at Topbrass. I’ve had several recommendations about Jackie. I’m not totally against traveling to get a pup. I just don’t want to travel across country. Weekend trip....yeah.

Let me throw this at everyone as well. What are your thoughts on dew claw removal? One breeder says that they do not remove them as they can be useful to the dog? Never heard that before. Not saying it isn’t true

Let me throw this at everyone as well. What are your thoughts on dew claw removal? One breeder says that they do not remove them as they can be useful to the dog? Never heard that before. Not saying it isn’t true
    You want them removed. Also I don't think I have ever bought a dog from a breeder. I buy them from trainers, hunters, and competitors who occasionally breed a litter.