Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Goldens vs. Labs

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wichita,KS.
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    Dogs that break down have nothing to do with frame size, but more a weight and conditioning issue. My 91 lb male is 11 years old and can still out hunt my 5 year old athletic 55 lb female.
    I don't think that's what dustin was saying at all. I think he was referring to confirmation, more importantly functional confirmation. But I can also see where an overstandard dog would be a liability to someone like David 0311 who is hunting 50 plus days a year.

  2. #22

    Default

    Okay, I've had Goldens since the early 70's. I've had "dual" dogs that were great and ones that were marginal. One of my worst was also the most expensive from a top name kennel and one of my best was a backyard breeding that was so homely I almost was embarrassed to show people her. Generally speaking the field trial lines are the most consistent with producing long lasting brush busting hunters. Face it , if the dog can't see and run like a blaze to the mark it doesn't get bred. If you have a big boned dog that is kept lean and in condition, it can hunt a long time. If you keep the thin "scrawny" field trial dog in good condition it will hunt just as long. The secret is lots of exercise, if you can't feel ribs it is not good. As far as dew claws, the only place I found them nice was when booting dogs in the desert. Something for the tape to hang onto. Oh the field trial lines tend to have shorter and greasier hair that is easier to get burrs out of.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    944

    Default

    Dew claws can tear in the field. I know the other side says why were they created with them. They talk about the ability of the dog to use them to run and turn quickly and get out of the water onto ice if they break through. I have found that removal is a better solution for my uses than leaving them on. You want to start another debate throw that one out on a forum!

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownDogsCan2 View Post
    I don't think that's what dustin was saying at all. I think he was referring to confirmation, more importantly functional confirmation. But I can also see where an overstandard dog would be a liability to someone like David 0311 who is hunting 50 plus days a year.
    I hunt quite a bit more than 50 days a year, and my over standard dog can hunt sun up to sun down for 4 or 5 days straight, at 11. Had another 90 lb male back in the 80's out of Nifty Nick that was the same way. Most people who have a 90 lb dog, have an overweight dog that can and will break down. Mine are and were 90 lbs with ribs showing. Big dogs that would raise their leg and pee on the little tuckered out dogs at the end of a hunt.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wichita,KS.
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    I hunt quite a bit more than 50 days a year, and my over standard dog can hunt sun up to sun down for 4 or 5 days straight, at 11. Had another 90 lb male back in the 80's out of Nifty Nick that was the same way. Most people who have a 90 lb dog, have an overweight dog that can and will break down. Mine are and were 90 lbs with ribs showing. Big dogs that would raise their leg and pee on the little tuckered out dogs at the end of a hunt.
    You hunt 50 days upland in an eleven week season and teach school. My apologies I take it all back.

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrownDogsCan2 View Post
    You hunt 50 days upland in an eleven week season and teach school. My apologies I take it all back.
    Start in September during dove season, waterfowl season, upland season. Easy to get in 50 days.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Wichita,KS.
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    Start in September during dove season, waterfowl season, upland season. Easy to get in 50 days.
    West my apologies you caught me at a bad time.
    Last edited by BrownDogsCan2; 02-06-2019 at 08:19 PM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    20 miles south of Ft. Worth, Tx
    Posts
    367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JDR View Post
    Let me throw this at everyone as well. What are your thoughts on dew claw removal? One breeder says that they do not remove them as they can be useful to the dog? Never heard that before. Not saying it isn’t true
    In England, while not illegal to remove the dew claws on pups, it is certainly not standard procedure. I would say it's pretty rare to have them removed. I have brought 2 Labs to the US from England. Both had their dew claws intact of course. I also have a 5 year old Lab bred by a US vet. The vet did not remove dew claws from the litter due to the useful/helps climb out on ice in a pond theory.

    To sum up, I've hunted three Labs with dew claws over the last 16 years or so. Never had a dew claw tear or injury on any one of the three dogs. Nor have I really seen where having that dew claw made much difference during the hunt. Just one more nail to trim though

    That's my .02.
    Last edited by Chestle; 02-10-2019 at 08:23 PM.

  9. #29

    Default

    Labs, are more aggressive hunters.Goldens tend to be more mellow.Ive hunted with both.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goosemaster View Post
    Labs, are more aggressive hunters.Goldens tend to be more mellow.Ive hunted with both.
    Goosemaster that is a blanket statement that does not hold true for either breed. I have hunted with labs that are very mellow and not aggressive at all. I think my goldens are pretty amped up and are very aggressive in the field and in their drive to retrieve!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •