Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extreme Cold

30-40 below is too cold, it got some. Many just die on the roost.

Quote Originally Posted by watermen View Post
    30-40 below is too cold, it got some. Many just die on the roost.
    probably true...but overall, conditions aren't that bad...I was hunting on january 5th in a T shirt and my hunting vest...a few days of intense cold probably did kill some, but I would worry more about a spring blizzard that came up out of nowhere and had lots of wind and freezing rain...even at 25 degrees or 30 degrees...if 30 below in and of itself was such a killer, we'd not have many ruffed grouse in NE MN...or sharp tails in the areas that they inhabit, where -30 or -40 happens a lot...I don't want to dismiss it, that is for sure, but we have a decent amount of fluffy snow, and the birds were burrowing in it on my last hunt...that provides ALOT of terrific insulation...just like an igloo...fluffy snow mixed in the cattails is a pretty decent place for critters to hang out, especially if their bellies are full, which they should have been...

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit View Post
    Last sunday morning was what now feels like a balmy -12 outside and the (corn) field behind my house had about 3 dozen roosters and 1 dozen hens all out in the middle of the feed pecking through the snow. I watched them with binoculars and they appeared to be as happy and healthy as could be. We've got a large slough across the road from us that holds decent cover.
    Looks like this bunch near me survived the cold stretch. This past weekend when it warmed up, there was a group of about 1 dozen roosters and 4 dozen hens scratching in the field near my house both Saturday and Sunday morning.

Two different Dakota residents told me the loss was very minor from the snap. Lost 5-10% of their yard birds. Thankfully very minor it appears.

In most parts of SD, extreme cold is almost the least of their worries, since where there are pheasants....there's good cover. They know how to stay warm. What gets them are extended periods where there's so much hard packed snow/ice on fields that they have trouble feeding. Or an abnormally bad blizzard that socks in all the trees & cattails w/ snow, followed by extreme cold. Or freezing rain/drizzle (usually a more localized event). So far this winter, we really haven't had these events of much significance. And with so much abnormally warm weather, the birds should have entered any tough stretches in better shape than usual. So far, things in SD are looking good for spring nesting.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

On my drive to Mille Lacs this past weekend, Friday was a decent day warmth wise post cold snap, we seen 4 different spots along the way of multiple birds feeding out in fields from Forest Lake to Milaca. A very small sample size yes, but did lift my spirits seeing they appeared fairly healthy and about, proceeding the cold snap.

Drove the highway from Doland to Groton SD today, its approximately 39 miles. I would guess we say over 400 pheasants in the fields with cattails and soybeans. The deer herds were out scraping for food and the Pheasants were mixed in going after the seeds. Was really a nice thing to see. Snow is deep in the trees and most fields have 4 to 6 inches of snow on top so the birds are having to work hard for the feed. Ditches and corn fields have a lot of snow. SDviking