Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plans for the Remains of the Season?

Where did you end up getting the pup from Cheesy? Is he local?

Quote Originally Posted by watermen View Post
    Where did you end up getting the pup from Cheesy? Is he local?
    He was pretty local you could say, inadvertent backyard breeding. That’s what happens when you’re not paying attention.

Wife was adamant we weren’t keeping him. “We don’t need another animal in this house”. So adamant in fact, she makes sure his seat heater is turned on when taking him with her to drop off the kids at school.

iapnpdu.jpg

Poor thing thought the world was coming to an end when he had to slum it in the dog box this weekend.

Packed up and headed out for the last hunt of the year. I should be eating a cheeseburger in the Cozy at Ness around noon. It looks like the weather will be good so that's a start.

Anxious to hear how you do. Take no prisoners!

How did you all do?

We hunted 2.5 days and shot 11. We were quitting early afternoon each day. I had a double ear infection and bronchitis. The doctor told me to say home............. I shot my limit yesterday by noon. My friend isn't shooting his new gun real well or he would have shot more birds. We shot at least one bird everywhere we hunted. The birds are really fat and in good shape so they could handle a small stretch of bad weather if we get it. There are enough birds that if they have a good hatch next year will be really good. We saw several lucky roosters this morning heading out to get my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by fsentkilr View Post
    We hunted 2.5 days and shot 11. We were quitting early afternoon each day. I had a double ear infection and bronchitis. The doctor told me to say home............. I shot my limit yesterday by noon. My friend isn't shooting his new gun real well or he would have shot more birds. We shot at least one bird everywhere we hunted. The birds are really fat and in good shape so they could handle a small stretch of bad weather if we get it. There are enough birds that if they have a good hatch next year will be really good. We saw several lucky roosters this morning heading out to get my dogs.
    Sounds like a pretty good finish to the year (other than the ear infection and bronchitis). Glad to hear the birds are looking healthy. Time to start the countdown to next season.

I made it out for the last day with my 11 month old wirehair. We have put in a lot of yard work, but due to work, weather and kid's sports, this was only her 3rd time out this season. The first time I took her out was the youth season and the boys missed a couple of roosters and quail, the next was a half day on the second weekend and I shot a quail and she pointed a hen. We made the 4+ hour drive and finally started hunting at 10:00, by 10:30 she had pointed her first rooster and also found it after a terrible mark by me (she attempted a retrieve, but wasn't quite sure). We saw around 30 birds, but all but that one rooster flushed well out of range. It felt good to get that first rooster!

Quote Originally Posted by RuttCrazed View Post
    I made it out for the last day with my 11 month old wirehair. We have put in a lot of yard work, but due to work, weather and kid's sports, this was only her 3rd time out this season. The first time I took her out was the youth season and the boys missed a couple of roosters and quail, the next was a half day on the second weekend and I shot a quail and she pointed a hen. We made the 4+ hour drive and finally started hunting at 10:00, by 10:30 she had pointed her first rooster and also found it after a terrible mark by me (she attempted a retrieve, but wasn't quite sure). We saw around 30 birds, but all but that one rooster flushed well out of range. It felt good to get that first rooster!
    Kinda neat when a pup locks down that first rooster, second day out my 11 month old got his first rooster. That was back in November.

We went out on Thurs. and 2 of us ended up with 2 pheasants and 3 quail. I got skunked earlier in the week. The picture was taken the last weekend in Liberal.

20190205_071912.jpg
    Last edited by BrownDogsCan2; 02-05-2019 at 09:31 AM.