Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Is rural Kansas dying?

Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    Kansas has very little public land. 95% private land which is why there is a lot of door knocking. I might see 5 or 6 different groups of hunters hunt the same 160 acre WIHA plot in the same day. Rained most of the night again last night. I have 4 different nests with chicks in them in my trees around the house but I don't know how any ground nesting birds will hatch anything. Any renesting will happen in the middle of harvest.
    Swartz told me the the walnuts 30 ft. deep there behind his house.
    Last edited by BrownDogsCan2; 05-26-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownDogsCan2 View Post
    Swartz told me the the walnuts 30 ft. deep there behind his house.
    Yep it is over the road on the Otis road at the bridge. Road is closed. Got to be 30 feet deep. Highway has been closed south of Hoisington for week. Ain't going to be much corn this year. Some of the wheat is invisible. Should be lots of milo though.

While the WIHA isn’t technically public land, it is open to public hunting, and there is a lot of it. Most of them get hunted pretty hard, but there is certainly some excellent hunting to be had on WIHA’s. I had one of my best hunts this year on a WIHA less than a mile from I-70 that was loaded with birds. You never know where you might find a honey hole.

I don't know if western Kansas is dying but it sure is floating away. Another 1/2 inch tonite and more on the way around midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by westksbowhunter View Post
    I don't know if western Kansas is dying but it sure is floating away. Another 1/2 inch tonite and more on the way around midnight.
    It hasnt rained like this in SEK since the flood of 86. Storming as I type with more on the way. I shouldve built an ark!

Yeah, I have had 15.74 inches of rain this month. I expect that we've lost some of the early nests and possibly the brooding adult. I hope that the moisture equates to better habitat the rest of the year and that they are determined nesters that get it done in the shortened season.
    Trust the dog!

Troy Smith

Yesterday the roosters were swollen up ears standing up. Crowing like crazy early afternoon literally standing in water. Only saw one with a hen. Don't know what that means.

Finally got out to do some sight seeing today. Much worse than I thought. Matter of fact horrible. Poor little town of Albert is submerged. Fields sitting under 4 foot of water and deeper from Great Bend to Rush Center. Even the railroad track along 96 had water over it in places.

https://www.greatbendpost.com/2019/0...-in-albert-ks/
    Last edited by westksbowhunter; 05-29-2019 at 07:16 PM.

As bad here in NEOk as it was in 86. River near my house crested 3rd of all time behind 43 and 86.