Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tennessee guy looking for pheasant

Why don't you just ask for gps locations to people's best spots.

This is the first year in the last 10 that I have not hunted Kansas. Mostly due to the information provided above and the steady decline of pheasant numbers in the area I typically hunt. If you do go , id suggest viewing it as a scouting trip and focusing on quail. You will get more action. The Hays area is good advice. Lots of public walk in options. Lots of pressure too.

Quote Originally Posted by buggy View Post
    Why don't you just ask for gps locations to people's best spots.
    +1

Although the inquiry wasn't even worth a response.

Quote Originally Posted by esetter View Post
    This is the first year in the last 10 that I have not hunted Kansas. Mostly due to the information provided above and the steady decline of pheasant numbers in the area I typically hunt. If you do go , id suggest viewing it as a scouting trip and focusing on quail. You will get more action. The Hays area is good advice. Lots of public walk in options. Lots of pressure too.
    I have access to thousand of acres of good private ground, and last week I hunted a couple WIHA spots and did quite well. I actually limited out on one. We shot a lot of pheasants doing as well as I have since 2011. It was really good after the snow. My point is, it is possible to have a good pheasant hunt even probable if you get in the right spot. The WIHA areas I drove by didn't even have any pickup tracks in the gates. The roads being muddy so much of the year has spared them the pressure they usually get I think. I normally don't hunt WIHA but saw birds flying out in some. When we hunted it and did as well as we did, we hunted several patches of it, killing birds in all of them.
    Last edited by fsentkilr; 01-14-2019 at 06:58 PM.

The gentleman was asking in general terms. Every given group has it's buttheads. If you don't have anything of substance to provide, why just not respond. Everything has to be confrontational for some people. In regards to the original inquiry, the advice on road conditions should be taken seriously. The Hays area received 6-7 inches of wet snow this last weedend after it had rained. Road conditions are poor in Ellis county as well as those in surrounding counties.

I. Would suggest hunting SW Kansas. Lots of Sandy roads that dry out pretty quick. In all the years Iíve hunted out there I donít recall ever getting stuck in mud. If you would llook At Meade Gray Haskell and Seward counties you should have the opportunity to shoot a mixed bag of quail and pheasan. That area hasnít had much hunting pressure if you have a good dog you should do well