Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee guy looking for pheasant

Default Tennessee guy looking for pheasant

Looking to head out to Kansas for a late season hunt. Any advice on where to hunt would be greatly appreciated.
    County? City? Lodging?

It's been a strange year since we've had so much moisture delaying harvest and making some areas inaccessible due to muddy roads. I'm not really sure that we have a certain part of the State that is hot, but birds can be found if you get boots on the ground.

some areas are almost completely void of pheasants........after that it is still a crap shoot.....Kansas getting more rain, roads that may have just begun to dry out will be a mess again, where the rain hits.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter94 View Post
    some areas are almost completely void of pheasants........after that it is still a crap shoot.....Kansas getting more rain, roads that may have just begun to dry out will be a mess again, where the rain hits.
    Truth, I'm going to hunt tomorrow and only hunt a quarter of the ground I would have before this rain. No sense in tareing up roads when locals have to drive them the other 5 days of the week.

Go to Hays KS drive either northwest or southwest about an hour. Find a small hotel in a local town and go have breakfast with the locals. Some may own land that might let you hunt if your nice other may tell you where they are seeing birds. Just get half and hour to an hour away from the Highway or a bigger city. You want a Cafe and one stop sign...

Quote Originally Posted by Kansasoutdoorsman View Post
    Go to Hays KS drive either northwest or southwest about an hour. Find a small hotel in a local town and go have breakfast with the locals. Some may own land that might let you hunt if your nice other may tell you where they are seeing birds. Just get half and hour to an hour away from the Highway or a bigger city. You want a Cafe and one stop sign...
    Good advice, but as mentioned above, if the roads aren't frozen they will probably be a mess!

Wouldn’t even bother coming this year. Roads are a mess. Go to the states website kdwpt and check the forecast. That will give you a starting point.

I see this is your first post ever made so with that said it’s sometimes best to hang out here and make some posts before dropping internet scouting post.

Roads are the worst I have seen in many years , yes you will be able to get around on the maintained roads , but they won’t be that good , the minimum maintenance roads I have seen in pheasant country have had water running down them , drifted closed , tubes washed out . If you come be safe and plan on putting in a lot of miles . What Ks outdoorsman said would be a good starting spot .

long drive to face the elements.......so many places will be impossible to get to.......better wait for next season.......see all good advice above.

I’d probably listen to these guys on this one. It has been very wet down here in Oklahoma and even wetter up north. Kansas back roads aren’t anything to mess with when wet. Don’t care what you’re driving. Birds will be tough this late.