Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Montana 2019

Default Eastern Montana 2019

Hello, I'm wanting to do a hunt next fall and have never hunted Montana. I was wonder how this year went and suggestions for general areas for next year. I'm also open to suggestions on time frame. I'm wanting to do more of a partridge hunt and am thinking week before pheasant opener should be good. I have started my research, but any help in narrowing down my search would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Vince

Hunted EMT last season. Birds were spotty but they had been HAMMERED by the drought. We did the best on pheasants and sharptail grouse between roundup and Lewistown on private ground. Took us a little while to figure out how the block management worked as far as who to call , signing in etc... Up around Circle was scorched earth but did find a few birds. We did the best on pheasants more towards Glendive. We moved one covey of huns in a week. You may do better going earlier as you have planned. Its big country , take some dog power. Plan on pulling some burrs from feet.

Parts of MT and far western ND (and I am sure parts of other western states) are certainly full of prickly pear cactus and sand burrs. Both can play havoc on a dog's feet. Seems like on area is problematic and down the road the area is clean.

Burrs, seeds, and other matter pulled from dog's coat and feet should be disposed of in the trash to avoid further dispersing these species to new areas.

Burrs can be real problematic in that area. Especially along any waterways. Crp fields are not so bad. We always start putting pad toughner on 3 weeks before we go, and daily while we hunt. Also look for what we call mud rocks between the toes, they can cripple a dog really fast. Multiple times we have put a couple of inches of water in the motel's tub to soften them up and clean out. Never had to boot dogs like we did quail hunting in Arizona though.

Quote Originally Posted by esetter View Post
    Hunted EMT last season. Birds were spotty but they had been HAMMERED by the drought. We did the best on pheasants and sharptail grouse between roundup and Lewistown on private ground. Took us a little while to figure out how the block management worked as far as who to call , signing in etc... Up around Circle was scorched earth but did find a few birds. We did the best on pheasants more towards Glendive. We moved one covey of huns in a week. You may do better going earlier as you have planned. Its big country , take some dog power. Plan on pulling some burrs from feet.
    Was thinking about heading to Lewistown next September and making that home base for a week. Is that a nice area?

My thoughts on the bird hunting here in Montana have been shared on other of my post, but, I will say this, over the past 3 days, I made a trip to Big Timber, MT, from my home outside of Glasgow, so, drove to Malta, south to Roy, then thru Lewistown, Judith Gap, Harlowton and down to BT. Saw a total of 8 roosters, and 1 hen. No huns, did see a few grouse, maybe a couple dozen. This includes the trip down and back. Areas where I use to see dozens of birds this time of year, were bare. Saw a couple groups of 3 roosters, and a couple singles. If you are familiar at all with the winter habits of upland birds in Montana, you know that is bad. I make this drive pretty frequently, having a second home in BT. Those drives this winter have seen the same or even less birds. I know the locals around home keep mentioning how the state needs to give the birds a break for a year or two, hopefully let them re-generate their numbers. I realize this will not happen, to much $$ involved. They say the same about the deer herd here in our area, numbers are still down from the brutal winter of 2010-11 and then the spring and summer flooding and EHD outbreak that decimated deer numbers. It's all about the money, unfortunately.

Hunt1GSP, donít rule the Scobey area out for Huns and Sharpies, the awesome thing about Montana Upland season is it starts September1. You could also parlay in a Sage Grouse a bucket list bird. Huns are doing fair in ND, if you decide to move over a state I can pm you for some generalized areas and if your willing to walk youíll find birds probably more than in MT. The pheasants are alive and well in Montana near the Milk river Havre to ND/MT State line along US 2 itís tough to get on before deer season.
    Lewiston is a bucket list destination because of the scenery but access can be tough. Do your research, look at maps, look at places that other hunters are not willing to walk to. Thanks for wanting to come up to our part of the world. In my opinion these are the years when a small group or solo hunter is going to feel more successful.
    Itís all going to come down to preparation hard work and good dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by CGD View Post
    Was thinking about heading to Lewistown next September and making that home base for a week. Is that a nice area?
    Very nice area!! Good food and drink options. That would be an excellent place to base out of.

Quote Originally Posted by PTM View Post
    Hunt1GSP, don’t rule the Scobey area out for Huns and Sharpies, the awesome thing about Montana Upland season is it starts September1. You could also parlay in a Sage Grouse a bucket list bird. Huns are doing fair in ND, if you decide to move over a state I can pm you for some generalized areas and if your willing to walk you’ll find birds probably more than in MT. The pheasants are alive and well in Montana near the Milk river Havre to ND/MT State line along US 2 it’s tough to get on before deer season.
    Lewiston is a bucket list destination because of the scenery but access can be tough. Do your research, look at maps, look at places that other hunters are not willing to walk to. Thanks for wanting to come up to our part of the world. In my opinion these are the years when a small group or solo hunter is going to feel more successful.
    It’s all going to come down to preparation hard work and good dogs.
    How the hell are pheasants " alive and well " along the Milk river? Populations have plummeted. Preparation and good dog work, are not much good if the birds are not there. I have to shake my head at someone who may come to an area once or twice a year and make blanket claims. Like I said, I drive between Glasgow and Malta quite a bit, there is a couple miles just east of Hinsdale during the morning or evening a person used to have to slow down and pay attention due to all the birds running near the road, now you hardly see any birds...if you are as know as much about this area as you claim, you will know where I am speaking.....

I will be coming back to this thread multiple times over the next 8 months I feel. My plan is to come out 1st or 2nd week of September and try and go for the trifecta, Huns, Sharpies, and Sage Grouse. I really look forward to getting into big country and exploring.