Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Field Bred Springer

PM fc and FLDBRED also. Or post a picture of the pedigree I'm sure somebody knows something about the kennel names and maybe some of the dogs in the pedigree.
    Last edited by BrownDogsCan2; 01-04-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A5 Sweet 16 View Post
    Yes, I'd really appreciate any input from him. But.....I get why he'd hesitate to give advice on how to buy a dog from somebody he might see as competition. (possibly even the type of competition he'd rather see vanish from the face of the earth)
    You can always try. If he'd rather not comment than that's ok to.

I have Shorthairs, but I visited two Breeders for my last two dogs and decided on one. I scheduled a visit to see the Dam and the Sire and even some of the sons of the Sire work the Field. There is NO way I could have seen the Sire's demeanor or his traits from reading his pedigree. After watching him work and the Dam (remember each parent contribute 50/50) I was convinced and put down my deposit before leaving. To this day I am still glad I chose who I did.
    Last edited by birdshooter; 01-04-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Yes, I'd really appreciate any input from him. But.....I get why he'd hesitate to give advice on how to buy a dog from somebody he might see as competition. (possibly even the type of competition he'd rather see vanish from the face of the earth)
    I really don't think that would be the case with FCSpringer. I'd shoot him a PM as I don't think he is on the site a lot anymore.

Why wouldn't you consider a pup out of the planned litter FCSpringer is having? He's close and has excellent field bred dogs.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016
    http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigr...&generations=5

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotazeb View Post
    Why wouldn't you consider a pup out of the planned litter FCSpringer is having? He's close and has excellent field bred dogs.
    I definitely would, as everything I've heard about his dogs (no doubt a reflection of the man himself) is that they're wonderful! But I'm not there yet.

Not trying to start the "you get what you pay for" discussion. But I'm the type who doesn't want to spend that kind of $$ for a dog if I don't have to. Of the 2 dogs I've owned, one cost $200 & one cost $350. And both of them have turned out to be almost EXACTLY what I'm after in a dog, in terms of being a pheasant master, as well as best buddies to every member of my family (especially me). Maybe it was pure luck, but I know I CAN end up w/ a spectacular dog for less money. At this point, I don't want to pay that much to hedge my bets.

That, and Buzz had the most friendly, happiest temperament of any dog I've ever met. He loved everything & everybody. I think he even liked pheasants, although he sure didn't shy away from putting them in the bag. (Whereas I'm pretty sure my 1st dog Walt despised pheasants. Understandable, since they're rather vile creatures.) Buzz never quit smiling & wagging his tail. EXCEPT....for black olives. Didn't like 'em. He'd pick 'em up if I asked him too, but he'd go spit it out somewhere he didn't think I'd notice. I know part of that was his upbringing, but some of it has to be genetic too. Getting a pup from Buzz's sister (same breeder), I know the upbringing would be the same from day 1 & some of the gene pool should be there too. So I'm trying to hedge my bets that way.
    "Most pheasants in South Dakota don't react too well to #5s." -The Hunt for Red Rooster

Ok. I understand.
    Janee's August Breeze - Bree
    7/6/2016

Godfather's Dakota Elle - Elle
    1X NSTRA Champion
    11/16/2008 - 11/22/2016

I know part of that was his upbringing, but some of it has to be genetic too. Getting a pup from Buzz's sister (same breeder), I know the upbringing would be the same from day 1 & some of the gene pool should be there too. So I'm trying to hedge my bets that way.
    I certainly wouldn't discourage you from getting a pup from Buzz's littermate. I myself have done the same, going back to the same genetics for follow-on dogs. There's a strong attraction to doing so when you've had a really good dog. It provides a level of comfort and confidence in the choosing of a new pup.

I would just say that probably we all know that even dogs from the same litter don't always turn out exactly (or even nearly) the same. This new pup will be an individual with his/her own traits and characteristics.

I wish you the best of luck with the new pup.

Quote Originally Posted by Chestle View Post
    I certainly wouldn't discourage you from getting a pup from Buzz's littermate. I myself have done the same, going back to the same genetics for follow-on dogs. There's a strong attraction to doing so when you've had a really good dog. It provides a level of comfort and confidence in the choosing of a new pup.

I would just say that probably we all know that even dogs from the same litter don't always turn out exactly (or even nearly) the same. This new pup will be an individual with his/her own traits and characteristics.

I wish you the best of luck with the new pup.
    True. That's why it's called breeding not cloning.

I will say when a breeder has line bred off the same bloodline you generally get a consistency from litter to litter so you pretty much know the TYPE of dog your going to get. Then occasionally you may bring in an outcross to bolster the bloodline with something you feel it's lacking. Sometimes that outcross works to your favor and sometimes it may not. It's not a science.
    Last edited by birdshooter; 01-06-2019 at 11:13 AM.