Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Farthest east You've shot a Kansas rooster

Well put , I just hunted early close to Glen Elder yesterday morning headed north and then east checking cover walk in areas along 36 all the way to highway 75 , none of the WIHA areas would I consider much for pheasant cover . Deer , Turkey And limited amount look like Quail cover .

I remember a young fellow I went to college with in the 80’s saying the “Mankato Pheasant Capital of Kansas “

Sadly not so much anymore .

Quote Originally Posted by KSBrittman View Post
    Well put , I just hunted early close to Glen Elder yesterday morning headed north and then east checking cover walk in areas along 36 all the way to highway 75 , none of the WIHA areas would I consider much for pheasant cover . Deer , Turkey And limited amount look like Quail cover .

I remember a young fellow I went to college with in the 80’s saying the “Mankato Pheasant Capital of Kansas “

Sadly not so much anymore .
    If you draw a line from jewell county east along 36 hiway almost all the wiha is grazed down to golf course level. Can’t beleive KDWP leases this land and will say there are pheasants in it. A guy would be lucky to find a field mouse on most of it.

Plenty of wica in the western counties that are mowed down to nothing this season. Not a pheasant in sight.
    Bilbo Baggins

Saw some on a property we used to deer hunt near Troy about 15 years ago, was deer hunting so obviously didn't shoot one.

As someone else said, we used to run into a couple here and there on the north side of Perry.