Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Public Land Prizes / Christmas Break

Is there a lot of people lined up waiting to hunt the land then? I am picturing something similar to when trout ponds are stocked and the info is released and it's shoulder to shoulder fishing.

There's a couple properties like that but they dont really advertise the days/times that they release birds. The regulars figure it out pretty quick and get birds fresh off the truck. Never understood that mindset but ..
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit View Post
    I am obviously not in the know here with this, but state stocked land? Wisconsin stocks pheasants on state land?

Is it a one time thing? Or multiple releases throughout the year? Do they announce when/where the birds are released? A few pieces of land get all the birds or all the land gets a few birds?
    They have managed to make wild pheasants extremely rare here. They do stock birds for about 8 weeks on a number of public hunting grounds. Twice a week for a few weeks, then once per week after. Birds are stocked on different days each week, but there is an old guy retired system that always seems to know. I hunt 6-7 different areas. Always try to go weekdays. Take a lot of vacation in the fall. For the first time this year I actually saw a stocking truck driving home one day. I lived in Minnesota for a number of years and hunted wild roosters a lot. Much preferred to hunting wisconsin stocked hunting areas. But it is all we have. I dont have the answers, but it seems wildlife people here do not either. I dont ever think there will be a sustainable wild population here again.