Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Public Land Prizes / Christmas Break

Default Public Land Prizes / Christmas Break

E713691B-2F4E-4FF7-A2EB-FC2DD4A07C8B.jpeg

What better way to spend a few days between Christmas and New Years than chasing pheasants , My youngest hunting buddy with his shorthair that helped him put these birds in the bag .

CCDBDF9C-ADAD-4AD7-B2CE-39FE0A85E532.jpeg

2nd day of the hunt as well as 1st day all pheasants were runners and led us on tracks of 100yds or more Much More !!!!, here 2 of the 3 birds taken before noon , deffinatley Public Land prizes and well earned .

Anybody else get out between Christmas and New Years?

Happy 2019 Everybody !!!!

Well done! Had good luck Sunday in snow filled cats. Still a lot of unharvested sunflowers here. Hope to get back out Thursday and Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Altillathedak View Post
    Well done! Had good luck Sunday in snow filled cats. Still a lot of unharvested sunflowers here. Hope to get back out Thursday and Sunday.
    Yep they were definitely in the thick stuff , you work them with flushers or pointing dogs ?

Quote Originally Posted by KSBrittman View Post
    Yep they were definitely in the thick stuff , you work them with flushers or pointing dogs ?
    Pointing dogs. French Brits. I run them with a beep on point mode in cattails.

Had a little fresh snow on the 26th. Made it out for a cattail hunt on state stocked land. Late season Birds really held tight,
    with our spaniel “pointing” both. 2 in the bag, but the best part was being able to hunt with he youngest son.

Quote Originally Posted by Altillathedak View Post
    Pointing dogs. French Brits. I run them with a beep on point mode in cattails.
    Nice , that’s how I run my Upland special to !! French Britts are fine dogs !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tilkut View Post
    Had a little fresh snow on the 26th. Made it out for a cattail hunt on state stocked land. Late season Birds really held tight,
    with our spaniel “pointing” both. 2 in the bag, but the best part was being able to hunt with he youngest son.
    Family , Pheasants and bird dogs don’t get much better than that .

20181229_163236.jpg Worst shooting day of my life. The dog pointed 3 roosters in the first hour but I only managed one, one miss, and one I was out of position when the bird flushed. 6 hours later I bagged my 3rd rooster in the last minute of shooting time. 4 missed roosters and one dropped somewhere in the middle that the dog got to run down in a cut bean field. A wild hunt with poor shooting and good dog work!

Quote Originally Posted by scott county vizsla View Post
    20181229_163236.jpg Worst shooting day of my life. The dog pointed 3 roosters in the first hour but I only managed one, one miss, and one I was out of position when the bird flushed. 6 hours later I bagged my 3rd rooster in the last minute of shooting time. 4 missed roosters and one dropped somewhere in the middle that the dog got to run down in a cut bean field. A wild hunt with poor shooting and good dog work!
    I had a similar day the first day of my hunt with out your success , should of had my limit , sounds like your dog forgave you for your misses and kept on working hard for you!!

Are birds on a slight upward trend in your state ?

I know a good swath across Iowa has very good pheasant numbers but where I am located the numbers are ok at best. I work 6 days a week so I'm limited to local public areas, all my private fields either aren't worth hunting or have changed hands. I've never missed as many birds(lots of long crossers) as I have this year and I've bagged the most since 04 when I was in high school. I've found that where there is good cover, there are plenty of birds, but there are few opportunities left in fence rows and waterways.